Convertible mustang mounts... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Convertible mustang mounts...

In the past i've seen people talking of using motor mounts from a convertible Mustang when doing the V8 swap into a Ranger. But never what years worked better, etc., so I'm hoping to clear this up before I order the wrong part. :snicker:

Which ones am I looking for? :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1988 Ford Mustang convertible
The mounts are flipped left to right in order to work in the TTB trucks with the 5.0

1988 Ford Mustang convertible
The mounts are flipped left to right in order to work in the TTB trucks with the 5.0

Awesome...are they still available through Ford, or do I need to comb ebay and aftermarket?
Oh, and I have a dumb question...What does TTB stand for?

twin traction beam
What are you putting this 5.0L into?
The conv mustang mounts are for installing a 302 into a 84-97 Ranger or 91-94 Explorer, with the TTB style independent front suspension

You can likely get these mounts on Rockauto cheap cheap

they're for a 1998 Ranger, had a 2.5 in it.

okay then you do NOT want convertible mustang mounts, the mustang mounts are fold older trucks then yours
The 98 Ranger does it have torsion bars or coil springs?

You want to use 1998 Explorer 5.0L engine mounts, a 98 Ranger is VERY similar to a 98 Explorer with the 5.0L

okay cool so a RWD 98 Ranger 4 banger gone V8
(Edit, I had wrong info)
Follow boomin's advice below:

You can use stock mounts and the adapter plates sold on eBay. The explorer mounts do not directly work in coil spring trucks, it's slightly wider.

I'm having trouble finding V8 mounts that bolt up to the old 2.5 mounts. They seem to be V6 mounts bolting up with new V8 mounts. What am I not doing right? Been looking @ my old S-10 V8 swap book, thinking maybe I'll have to make my own mounts.

Do V6 mounts bolt up in the 2.5 mounting holes? If so the available ones will hopefully work

Yes the 2wd frame is the same between 2.5/3.0/4.0. Of course the mounts differ.

Use the 3.0 or 4.0 mounts and you will simply have to drill one hole to fit the explorer 5.0 engine plates .........

Back