• Register Today It's free!

Coolant Leak...Maybe.....

jbean8510

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT V8
I come to you As a preventative measure so I can fix something early if anything is wrong rather than pay for it big time later.

99 XP 5.0l v8 auto. Has 208,x.. miles. Sounds like a brand new car, runs and drives like a brand new car. Everything works perfect.

Today I was working on a project and I looked and saw coolant under my passenger tire. I looked and it was dripping from the radiator area, however I was unable to figure out exactly where. There was maybe enough coolant on the ground to fill up 1 or 2 cups (like cooking cups). And the reservoir was completely empty.
I filled it up with 50/50 and nothing came out. I started it up and nothing came out. I have driven it the same distance I did when it leaked now twice since then and no leak. Do I have a self healing explorer? What the hell does this mean?

I noticed no smoke or overheating prior to driving before finding the leak. And I fill it up and boom, no leak? What the hell does this mean?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you remove the lower shroud as in this thread, you might be able to see the leak better.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332584&highlight=radiator

Did you top off the reservoir or the radiator? Keep in mind the system will need a burp and re fill.

Other places to check-
timing cover and water pump gasket areas, elbow bypass hose on water pump to thermostat housing, and, the heater core.

Yes I Remove the little shield under the radiator which has a very small amount of fluid on it. I'm not sure where it all went.

I filled up the reservoir first. Started it up and no leaks. Then I filled the radiator itself to the top and let it settle down. The. I drove it for awhile. No leaks. Resevior still full.

I dunno if heat plays any role? It's been around 100 with Illinois humidity out the ass for almost a month now. I'm stretching here because I don't understand how the thing leaks and then without fixing anything just stops leaking. Maybe somehow overheated? Too much pressure? I dunno

In my Mountaineer (98, 5.0L) my original radiator went out on the passenger side, where the plastic meets the metal. Apparently, this is the most common place for our radiator to break at. Everyone I've talked to say that it's only fixable by replacing the whole radiator. At first, it would only leak after a longish drive, when the coolant got warm and expanded.

Ditto above post passenger side where the metal goes in to the plastic, but mines a 4.0. Do you smell anit-freeze after driving but dont see any leaks? Mine was really just a smell for a long time, replaced the radaitor with a used one that was pressure tested, no more problems

No I smelled nothing, I felt nothing wrong while driving, I saw no smoke. I just found a small puddle when I got home, and after filling it back up. I found no more leaks. I believe it may be the radiator as you have said. I'll wait until it does it again and then i guess I'll replace it.

Yup. Side tank. Comes and goes, sometimes you smell it, sometimes nothing is there. No smoke.

I also just replaced my radiator with the exact leak that is on Joe Dirt's helpful thread and the one that several others on this thread say they have experienced. Sounds like a radiator replacement is in your future.

You might also try letting the engine idle for a while with the heater running, to check the heater core for leaks. I am assuming the ac was being used which will turn off the coolant valve, blocking flow of coolant through the heater core.

If you see smoke (It'll be steam, not smoke) than that means that your radiator is 100% shot, and you can't drive it until you get it replaced. That's when I replaced mine, and I'm lucky I didn't break anything, cause when it starts steaming that means it's starting to overheat.

Make sure you're looking at your temperature gauge all the time until you find out what's wrong.

You might also try letting the engine idle for a while with the heater running, to check the heater core for leaks. I am assuming the ac was being used which will turn off the coolant valve, blocking flow of coolant through the heater core.

Ha no, it was 103 that day but i wasn't using the ac. I usually refill it every summer but I haven't had time yet.

Have you check overfill tank also? Mine has a really slow and small drip/leak where the rubber hose connects to the overfill tank. Still havent figured out if it is the hose or the tank that is leaking/dripping.

grnmachine thats what mine kind of looked like. At first I thought it was the hose, but there was no coolant from around the house. The coolant was all over the side of the rediator.

Im searching now for a decent price radiator and have already taken out the old!

If I remember correctly, I got my radiator for somewhere around $230 after shipping from car-stuff.com .

Rock auto 171 shipped with hoses and cap!

Back