CoryL '91 4 Door Getting some Goodies!!! Complete off-road performance modifications. | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CoryL '91 4 Door Getting some Goodies!!! Complete off-road performance modifications.

94 4 Door SAS and More - CoryL

My new winter project.

I'm starting with a 94 4 Door with a 4.0. It had a D35 and 8.8" (obviously), A4LD, and a 1354.

The only thing in there that is staying is the motor. :cool:

The tranny is going to be a C5 followed up by a 4.3:1 Atlas 2.

The suspension is going to change too. Out with the TTB and in with a solid axle.

HP D60 front and a full floating D60 rear. Both have 5.13s and Detroits in them.

I am going to see how much lift the stock leaf springs give me with a SOA setup.

Up front will reside a 5 link setup with S-A-W coilovers.

Going to hack most of the front fenders away, relocate anything on the inner fenders and remove the inner fenders. Going to hack quite a bit in the rear, probably remove the seats and put the larger rear seat in the middle and use some drag race tubs to cover the hole I will leave.

It will be rolling on 38x14.5x16.5 TSL SXs mounted on Hummer Beadlocks (If my line on them stays open).

Look for pics to come soon as I get the Sploder in my garage this Friday!!!

My current wheeling rig has to go though. 87 Bronco II. Its listed in the For Sale Section!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well hell yeah Cory!!

Anyway of knowing your price yet? Looks like this is your money making job. You can make tube doors for Explorers and maybe later this year you can mass produce a kit to swap in full size Dana 60s. You'd be rich by December!!:)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Nice cory, as far a 2nd gen goes, WEEBO lives here in Louisville too, actually Bullitt co!

any new pictures around? cory i enjoy checking out the progress.

OHHH MYYYYYYY GODDDDD! That is just one mean looking X. I want to see some flex pics and know how it does on the trail. More pics and stories. Dying to see it in action.

I figured out why the front end was not flexing. I had it totally riding on the 400lb coils and the 200lb coils weren't even being utilized. Non-ramp flex pics will come after my trip to Attica next weekend.

Tube doors got put off until later this week. I'll get them done though. I'm thinking pricing will be somewhere around $150 + shipping. We'll see for sure what they come out at once I have made a pair. It will probably be less than that.

Here are some ramp pics.

ramp61.jpg

ramp5.jpg

ramp4.jpg

That was completely constricted. I can get more flex out of the rear with a little more trimming, the removal of a spring retainer clip and/or by changing from a shackle setup to something with a heim or johnny joint.

You are a sick sick person...... Looks fun :)

how is the engine running by the way?

I am counting down the days to see this in action on Saturday! (still the plan right?)

Engine runs better. Still gotta let it idle and warm up for a few before you go anywhere.

Still planning on Attica at 10am on June1st!

Are you going to compete in the rock crawling leagues? I just got back from Cedar City, Utah where the UROC competetion was held and there was only a couple of rigs that were not jeeps or tube frame full on rock rigs. It would be cool to see something shake the foundation of the jeep world.

Yeah, but if you can, why not? I would love to see another competitor besides the Chevy S-10 driven by that guy with all the corprate sponsors do some damage to the jeep world.

Why not? Because I don't want to.

I could care less about Jeeps and buggies and stuff and showing other "brands" up.

The S-10 is driven by Walker Evans by the way.

All I want to do is have fun with a bunch of cool people by pushing what I've built to it's limits without having to worry about how many times I've backed up, if I used my winch, and how long I am stopped for. Besides, all of the good events are WAY too far away from me to make it worth my while.

On a technical related note, I am halfway done with my t-case skidplate. Should finish it off tomorrow evening and start the tube doors Wednesday.

I knew who that was but I had too many beers to remember his name without prompting. Well, that's cool if you don't want to. Maybe it is just my feeling of jeeps taking the market and no other companies getting any credtit.

The thing is, there isn't one stock vehicle in there anyhow and people know that. They are all heavily modified.

The only difference between the vehicles is that some happen to have some skins that somewhat resemble a Jeep or Toyota or S-10.

The drivetrains are all pretty much identical except they all use some combination of custom aftermarket, Chevy, Ford, Mopar, Toyota, Unimog, or homemade parts.

So my rig wouldn't really be much different other than the fact that you could call the body an Explorer.

True, but yours started out as an Explorer so it would be fun to see the look on some peoples face. Just for fun is the key, some of the people out there were just too serious for me.

Sweet Cory!!!:)

Let us know about the final price when you can. BTW, does anyone know if I can drive on the streets with something like that on? Just curious!!!

you could if you could find somewhere to mount at least one of your sideview mirrors. I believe that the law states that you must have at least two rear view mirrors to be legal.

Back