Cozmik's 'Stormy' Registry | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cozmik's 'Stormy' Registry

After purchasing my Explorer in January and discovering this forum I know more about my Ex than any other vehicle I've ever owned. The members of this community have taught me an incredible amount about the potential of our trucks and saved me countless dollars on repairs and modifications. With my Ex being a work in progress and much more work to be done I figured it was time to buy into the Elite Membership as a token of my appreciation and thanks for the continued support and information available at ExplorerForum. :D

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sean,

If you're still contemplating a mild spacer lift and BTF arms, I did some measuring and was able to determine max limits to spacer height to avoid spindle/coil contact and rear axle grinding. Here's a thread with some information:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335266

Bottom line, looks like a 1"-1.25" front spacer and a 1.25" rear spacer is the max. I'm in the process of making some 1.25" fronts and 1" rears and will post in that thread when I have them installed and can verify the numbers with actual results.

Thats excellent. I look forward to seeing what your results are. Finally getting a 'problem free' sized spacer nailed down will really help a lot of people out, and hopefully inspire some more built Explorers. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, I mentioned back on the 22nd that I was going to be making some changes and would update after they were done.

Looking at all available options and weighing out the costs and labor involved, I decided on a solid axle swap front and back...sort of.

Before:

Clean2.jpg

After:

Sahara2.jpg

Yes, I have traded in the Ex on a Jeep. It was not an easy decision, but based on what I wanted to do with my truck I think it was the right decision for me at this point.

BTF arms and spacers are approx $700, allow 33" tires and severly limit already limited wheel travel. The Jeep...well lets just say the options are almost endless, but you can run 35's with as little as 2" spacer set. I'm looking at a 2.5" Pro Comp coil/shock package (which is only about $400).

Here is what my new toy will look like next spring (34's with 2.5" lift)

SS2.jpg

34on2andhalinchlift.jpg

So, as far as my 'Stormy' registry, this pretty much concludes it. But my wife still has her 03 XLT which isn't going anywhere, and I still want to keep up to date with what you guys are doing with your Ex's so I'm sticking around. And I plan on renewing my Elite membership as well as this is such a fantastic community. So Ronin, The Electrician, Lynchywa, SUL73NAZ, and others who are building the 3rd a 4th GEN, keep up the AWESOME work and I really look forward to seeing your progress.

Nice looking Jeep Sean! Can't really say I blame you, from a money standpoint they are a lot easier to mod with all the aftermarket support.

Nice looking Jeep Sean! Can't really say I blame you, from a money standpoint they are a lot easier to mod with all the aftermarket support.

Thanks James. It wasn't an easy decision, I still really enjoyed driving my Ex but I was getting really frustrated with how custom everything with these trucks has to be in order to build them for offroad. And with custom comes price. Its great that Brandon and Duner have come up with some lift solutions, but at close to $800 and $2800 respectively they allow for bigger tires but don't address the still there issue of very little wheel travel.

Anyway, I've enjoyed the JK for the week I've had it, but I have to admit its taking some getting used to not having all that V8 power at my disposal. And trying to figure out what to do with the JK is honestly a little confusing because there is so much choice now.

As far as offroad Explorer's go for me, I should have kept my lifted and locked 98. It was far easier to work on than my 05 and didn't have as many driving nannies to get in the way.

The 4 door wrangler's do look sweet, great ride mate!!!

The 4 door wrangler's do look sweet, great ride mate!!!

Why thank you sir! Can't wait till spring to get the soft top on. :D (and down ;) )

Last edited:

Congratulations Cozmik

a great choice for your requirements, with all that huge after market support, the sky is the limit.

The JK looks fantastic, what did you call it?

Is it equipped with the new pentastar engine?

For the V8 power you always have the JK-Hemi-conversion-kit :D

Good lock with your new ride and Godspeed

Congratulations Cozmik

a great choice for your requirements, with all that huge after market support, the sky is the limit.

The JK looks fantastic, what did you call it?

Is it equipped with the new pentastar engine?

For the V8 power you always have the JK-Hemi-conversion-kit :D

Good lock with your new ride and Godspeed

Not named yet, still working on that. As for the engine, it's the older 3.8L V6, I wasn't prepared to part with over $40k for a new 2012 to get the Pentastar (although I did drive a few and it's AWESOME).

As for the Hemi...let's just say that if I won the lottery the JK and I would take a little road trip to AEV for them to do a full AEV make-over on it. ;)

It is a great DIY project, knowing that:

AEV Standard JK HEMI V8 Conversion Kit ($3999) includes:
  • AEV Motor Mounts
  • AEV Transmission mount
  • AEV Transmission Crossmember
  • AEV Steel Battery Tray (Fits OE or Optima Group 31)
  • AEV Steering Relocation Bracket and Hardware
  • AEV Air Filter Shield
  • K&N Air Filter
  • AEV Aluminum Cross-flow Radiator
  • Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses
  • AEV Coolant Recovery bottle
  • AEV 100% Computer-tested wiring harness
  • Custom Flashed Computer (PCM)
  • AEV CNC Bent 3 Piece Air Conditioning Line Set and Hardware
  • AEV CNC Bent 2 Piece Power Steering Line Set
  • AEV CNC Bent Fuel line
  • Complete Decal Package

AEV Premium JK HEMI V8 Conversion Kit ($5249) adds:

• AEV / Flowmaster High-flow Exhaust with Catalytic Converters
  • AEV ProCal Module
  • Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler
  • Transcooler Hoses and Clamps
  • Spring Spacers (to correct ride height)

http://www.aev-conversions.com/products/jk_hemi/

The really question is: How much does the Hemi cost from a salvage yard?

It is a great DIY project, knowing that:

AEV Standard JK HEMI V8 Conversion Kit ($3999) includes:
  • AEV Motor Mounts
  • AEV Transmission mount
  • AEV Transmission Crossmember
  • AEV Steel Battery Tray (Fits OE or Optima Group 31)
  • AEV Steering Relocation Bracket and Hardware
  • AEV Air Filter Shield
  • K&N Air Filter
  • AEV Aluminum Cross-flow Radiator
  • Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses
  • AEV Coolant Recovery bottle
  • AEV 100% Computer-tested wiring harness
  • Custom Flashed Computer (PCM)
  • AEV CNC Bent 3 Piece Air Conditioning Line Set and Hardware
  • AEV CNC Bent 2 Piece Power Steering Line Set
  • AEV CNC Bent Fuel line
  • Complete Decal Package

AEV Premium JK HEMI V8 Conversion Kit ($5249) adds:

• AEV / Flowmaster High-flow Exhaust with Catalytic Converters
  • AEV ProCal Module
  • Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler
  • Transcooler Hoses and Clamps
  • Spring Spacers (to correct ride height)

http://www.aev-conversions.com/products/jk_hemi/

The really question is: How much does the Hemi cost from a salvage yard?

Looking at the website it doesn't look like the actual motor is included in any of the kits.....they are not really clear about that. Mind you I didn't look that deep yet.

Looking at the website it doesn't look like the actual motor is included in any of the kits.....they are not really clear about that. Mind you I didn't look that deep yet.

nope it is not included, you need to buy it from a salvage yard

nope it is not included, you need to buy it from a salvage yard

Good thing I'm happy with my low mile 3.8 for now. Thats easily a $10k conversion when its all said and done.

Back