cracked flex plate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cracked flex plate

joelhall1957

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford exployer
I changed a 2003 explorer 4.0 2 wheel drive and put the engine into my 2002 explorer 4 wheel drive i have a flex plate issue this makes 3 flex plates have broken out around the crank any body have a idea on this?

thanks joel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have the spacer in there between the crank and flex plate right? It's a little over a 1/2" thick.

The only difference between 4x4 and 2wd is the 2wd trucks most of the time come without the balance shaft. You can swap vice versa with no real issues.

The only difference between 4x4 and 2wd is the 2wd trucks most of the time come without the balance shaft. You can swap vice versa with no real issues.
but do you have any idea what is doing to this makes 3 in the past 2 months?

thanks joel

Do you have the 3/16" aluminum plate that goes in between the engine and transmission installed?

I have never seen this but obviously something isn't right.

In the meantime, if you need them, I've got 2 flexplates sitting in my garage in the scrap metal pile... I know at least one has the spacer with it.

I think I've got some spare bolts too.

In the meantime, if you need them, I've got 2 flexplates sitting in my garage in the scrap metal pile... I know at least one has the spacer with it.

I think I've got some spare bolts too.
ok great i have a new flex plate ,got life time warranty from advanced i will let you know when the mechanic takes it out again,he tells me that the spacer will go in only one way but i think he did not put it in or there is differ size thickness

joel

If it didn't get put in the bolts will be to long. Did they mention that they had to get new bolts?

Which the spacer does go in only 1 way so I imagine it's in there right. Next to check would be the "inspection plate" between the engine and trans and make sure it was installed.

weeeeeellll... the spacer can go on backwards. it *should be* very obvious that it is on backwards, but if you are highly deternined and highly incompetent, it will go on wrong.

weeeeeellll... the spacer can go on backwards. it *should be* very obvious that it is on backwards, but if you are highly deternined and highly incompetent, it will go on wrong.

Hello all we found the problem the spacer on the 4x4 engine was about 3/16 differance than the 2 wheel drive.

thanks for everyone that helped
joel

Hello all we found the problem the spacer on the 4x4 engine was about 3/16 differance than the 2 wheel drive.

thanks for everyone that helped
joel
Glad you found the answer! I'll log that info in my list of 99.99% useless knowledge that will help someone else 5 years from now.

I've taken about 100 of these motors out and never noticed a difference. I also never have had this issue and have always kept the right parts to the right motor ect

Do you happen to have a part #? I have only ever used one part for all applications for years. Hope I haven't sent some out with incorrect parts. When I look it up it doesn't give me a 4x2 or 4x4 application option.

Do you happen to have a part #? I have only ever used one part for all applications for years. Hope I haven't sent some out with incorrect parts. When I look it up it doesn't give me a 4x2 or 4x4 application option.

No I don't but the mechanic checked with a dial caliber and the one that came out of the 2003 2 wheel drive,said it was around 3/16 thinner everything else was the same,drove it now for two days with no problems will keep you posted

joel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I almost wonder if this was a year-related difference in order to eliminate the 3/16" spacer on the inspection plate...

Possibly due to the elimination of the manual trans option. I don't have the 3/16 spacer on my Manual transmission 2002, and the flywheel doesn't have the spacer as a separate piece.
Do you have the 3/16" aluminum plate that goes in between the engine and transmission installed?

I have never seen this but obviously something isn't right.

Back