Cross Threaded Starter Bolt! Now What? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cross Threaded Starter Bolt! Now What?

fnichole89

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
Was in process of removing starter on 2000 Xlt 4x4 At 4.0. Got everything done except the top bolt came halfway off & just stalled, will not budge for nothing, now it will not go either way. Been at this for 2 days, have tried every tool, nothing is moving this bolt. Any suggestions??

Honestly thinking its cross threaded.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They won't cross-thread while you are taking them out. Cross threading means putting it in and forcing them to thread in at an angle to their thread. It only happens when the bolt is out and you try and put it in.

That top bolt can be tough to do, are you using u-joints or swivel extensions? Those really waste a lot of the torque you are applying. Extensions also absorb some of the torque since they twist.

You are just going to have to keep at it with penetrating oil and trying to get it to turn in one direction or the other. If nothing else, call a friend with bigger arms and offer cold beer. Mainly, try and get the longest ratchet you can on it with as few extensions as possible. If you have a breaker bar, even better.

If all else fails, you may have to put it back together, figure out a way to start it and take it to a mechanic to ask them to get that bolt out for you. Most mechanics are pretty understanding guys and are actually OK with a motivated DIYer.

edit: if you post your location, there might be a forum member who is looking for a cold beer too.

Good info from FIND. Also, what I have used in the past is two combo wrenches. Box end on the starter bolt, and another hooked on to that in "sex mode" to increase the leverage. Basically just a shade tree version of a Ford starter wrench.

Well we were twisting the top bolt off then it just stopped in the middle & now won't turn either way. Have tried extensions, swivels, the while 9 yards everything you named. I have had 4 guys try this for 2 days straight with nothing. You can wiggle the starter its so loose. And the starter has completely given up, we tried starting it for 2 days straight, hitting on it stopped doing the trick.

Have you tried applying heat (torch) ?

If so: I dunno what the top bolt looks like and how much room you have to work with but maybe you can cut the top of the bolt off to remove the starter. Once the starter is off, weld (or JB weld) the bolt's body onto the housing and then use a die to put some threads on the bolt's body. And of course use a matching nut to fasten the starter to the housing. In other words, make it a stud instead of a bolt.

I removed my starter a couple of days ago to pull my motor out. I used a 13mm ring spanner and a hammer.

I used a 4' pipe on my breaker bar and finally broke the bolt head off, use good quality swivels though.

Back