No room to remove starter, need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No room to remove starter, need help

Mikefriedel

Reaction score
City, State
Irondequoit, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I have a 2000 XLS 4x4 4.0 OHV engine with manual transmission. I have removed all bolts and disconnected all wires. There does not seem to be enough room between the oil pan and the front differential to drop the starter down. Any tricks to do this would be greatly appreciated. I thought of removing the oil pan as a new gasket wouldn't be bad but it's 12 degrees and snowing right now. Not wanting to add more to my fun right now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you have one of those balancer hanging off the front diff, pull that off (three bolts) then you will have tons of room. if its not there, it will come out, just need to wiggle it and slid it around to the right spot

Didn't see anything resembling a balancer. I have been at it twisting and wiggling and flipping the darn thing in every direction that appears possible. the flange on the base of the starter is just too wide. It seems most of the Explorers I see pix of have the rounded steel oil pan but mine looks bigger and is more square made aluminum with a type of waffle pattern.

Got it out. Carefully jacked up under the transmission a wee bit and it gave just enough clearance. Thanks.

Nice!
That oil pan sounds aftermarket, maybe previous owner put it on?

On my SOHC 4X4, it was necessary to lower the front diff in order to get the starter to come out. No other way to get it through there. That's only a few bolts though, and is easier than disconnecting the starter itself. It also gives more room to reach the starter bolts.

Back