• Register Today It's free!

Custom 2001 Sport Exhaust

DirtDemon85

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
01' Sport
Hey guys, i did a search but couldnt find anyone running side exhaust before the rear tires... Im doing a setup like this using my 2004 Mustang Stock Tailpipes... i was wondering if i did a glass pack muffler and removed some cats & the resinator would i loose alot of power because of loss of backpressure?

Also which cats/resonators can i remove from the 4.0 system so that i wont set off the cel? Just the one with the o2s before/after?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also which cats... can i remove from the 4.0
None - its illegal.

Have you tried searching? This cat stuff comes up about once a month and we always end up with the same conclusion - its illegal and it doesnt really increase performance.

so just removing the resonator wont effect emissions am i correct?

The resonator just affects sound. Expect more cabin drone without a resonator, especially in the 2 door (been there, done that).

The resonator just affects sound. Expect more cabin drone without a resonator, especially in the 2 door (been there, done that).

did you have it exit out of the truck or cut it off and call it a day?

did you have it exit out of the truck or cut it off and call it a day?

In my case, all the stock pipes from the cats back (including resonator) were cut out and replaced with 2.5" pipes. I also added a stainless tip. Exit was in stock location. I went without a resonator for a while, but the drone wore on me so I had an aftermarket resonator welded in near the exit. Mellowed it out a LOT inside the truck and little less so outside.
That was on my old SOHC V6 Sport. The 2 doors are 10" shorter than the 4 doors. Any exhaust setup on a 2 door sounds different than the same one on a 4 door.

I now have the 5.0 and a 4 door and went through the same resonator exercise. I just got an aftermarket resonator put back on about a month ago and it's staying. Cabin drone drives me nuts. Sure, I can drown it out with my stereo when I'm alone, but on long road trips with family, that's not an option. The resonator is staying put. :)

Exhaust setup and how much drone you're willing to accept is personal preference. What works for one person definitely won't work for another.

sound isnt an issue as im sure it will be silent compaired to my mustang... just looking to get the look that i want once my sas is done..

Im sick of having the stock exhaust hang down 3" lower than the body since the body lift

sound isnt an issue as im sure it will be silent compaired to my mustang... just looking to get the look that i want once my sas is done..

Im sick of having the stock exhaust hang down 3" lower than the body since the body lift

I had mine replaced with 2.5 pipe that exits from the side right behind the rear tire. it's tucked up nicely and doesn't drone at all (i have a sport too). no resonator or anything, with a flowmaster 50. kinda wished it was a little louder even. the exhaust guy had discussed having it dump out in front of the tire, but i figured it made more sense just to have it behind. but sounds like either is possible and wouldn't be a problem. it looks a LOT better with it tucked up, mine looked like crap after the body lift too. i'm pretty happy with it overall.

I have it on my 5.0 Mountaineer. I still have all 4 cats just got rid of the muffler. It hangs down low but no lower than the front spring mounts. Like Turdle said I would be worried about crushing it when I hit some thing.

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

Back