Custom FMIC install - Explorer Sport 3.5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom FMIC install - Explorer Sport 3.5

danny04mystic

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Airy, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Been wanting to do an intercooler upgrade but for $1,000 and you need to do some cutting anyway, I decided to go a different route. I think the install went extremely well, and the whole setup cost me about $300-$320 or there abouts. I'll post pictures and materials I used as well as a link to a video I saw that gave me the idea to do the same.

Video here:

I went with a bar and plate intercooler from CX Racing, I've used this company in the past for a couple heat exchanger setups on my 04' cobra and the quality was top notch. So I figured out the dimensions I could fit and found one from them that seemed like a good fit, and it was perfect! I considered other brands such as the Treadstone and Mishimoto but I thought I'd go with a company I've dealt with before knowing it would be good quality for less and accomplish the same results.

CXRacing-Front Mount Universal Aluminum Intercooler 28.5"x8"x3.5", 3.5"Core: 22x8x3.5
https://a.co/d/34qQ8E4 ($222.41)

Other parts required were 2, 90° elbows. 1st one is 2.5" x2.5". 2nd one is a reducer elbow 2.5" x 2.25". Then 2 couplers, 2.5" and 2.25". Plus 4 clamps.

Ronteix Universal 90 Degree Elbow Reducer Silicone Hose ID 2.5 Inch to 2.25 Inch (63MM-57MM)
https://a.co/d/2H1XogK ($18.99)

90 Degree 4-Ply Elbow Coupler... Amazon product ASIN B095LT38TG ($20.99)

Mishimoto Stainless-Steel T-Bolt Clamp, 2.13" (54 mm) to 2.44" (62 mm)
https://a.co/d/e4TAVAm ($5.95)

Mishimoto Stainless-Steel T-Bolt Clamp, 2.36" (59.99 mm) to 2.68" (68 mm)
https://a.co/d/2SIZwog ($5.95)

AotoKoop Universal OD 2.5" (63mm)... Amazon product ASIN B0BCTZZLFF ($12.99)

AotoKoop Universal OD 2.25"... Amazon product ASIN B0BCV6MZHQ ($11.99)

Total for everything, (before tax, 6% for me in Maryland) $299.27
My total was $317.23.

As in the video, I did have to cut some bits of the composite core support to remove factory intercooler, and make room for new one. Pretty straight forward and using my multi tool was quick work. Core support has lots of structural support so I wasn't worried about cutting a bit from it. It's very sturdy and still is after cutting some out for the install. I also modified the horn bracket, cutting off the bend to make it flat, drilled a couple holes and figured it in place. Intercooler also came with bolts and a couple flat brackets which I bent in an "L" and secured to intercooler with provided bolts then rivited the brackets to the core support. I had to trim the intercooler outlet 90° a tad but I bought that long one so I would have enough length to reach the coupler to the throttle body. The entire install is a very easy project. You do need to obviously remove the front bumper cover and there are plenty of how to's already so I won't get into any of that.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to assist best I can. But I really just wanted to share my install and show an affordable option for us 3.5 Ecoboost owners that may want to do this without breaking the bank. There's only one vehicle specific intercooler upgrade that I'm aware of and I know there are other threads on custom installs but I don't think it's in depth as this. Also you can use whatever intercooler you want using this process if it's demensions are close. But I can tell you this one I used is a really great fit.

For those that are wondering, (I know it was coming lol)....
With mods in my sig, using canned 93 performance SCT tune from my x4, I'm hitting just under 15 psi at wot, iat was reading about 10-15° above ambient. It was almost 90° today and was around 110° after a wot pull. But I saw it after stopping and idling for a sec and I was really only looking for drop psi. I spiked just over 15 psi with the factory unit, and 14.79 psi after. So boost drop is minimal. Truck felt like it pulled much harder though all the way through the rpm range as before it would fall off in higher rpms. So it's definitely an improvement. And will be even better when I get a real tune and install my 3 bar map, thermostat, and 1 stage colder plugs. Still on stock exhaust but that's coming later for me.

I hope this helps some guys out there that are wanting this upgrade, don't be afraid, it's pretty easy if you have some mechanical ability. You can do it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is great. Where did you get the mounting brackets? Is the top one secured with a rivet?

This is great. Where did you get the mounting brackets? Is the top one of them secured with a rivet?
Brackets and mounting hardware came with the intercooler. They come straight and I bent them in my bench vise by hand to my needed 90° angle. Then yes I used a large head rivet to secure it. The composite core support is extremely tough material and they were a very tight hold. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. And considering I saved about $800 is even better.
Not knocking the off the shelf unit by any means it's just a lil pricey for what I determined to be very similar to what I did. The benefits are prob minimal until the mods and tune come but then it should really shine.

I 100% agree. And considering they don’t show any temperature data logs i feel uncomfortable spending $1k for it.

Nice setup! Definitely another FMIC to add to the wall of fame! Great work! I've been running the stock one still because the setup I am doing will be replumbing and rerouting the entire intake system, fabricating a custom core support, lots of work and $$$$ (ugh). One of the many projects on my to-do list that I can never seem to get to.

As for your boost, you'll never see more than what you currently have as you haven't installed you a 3bar MAP sensor yet. The OEM 2bar doesn't see more than 1bar above atmosphere, which means you can never get higher than 14.7psi of boost (and likely not even that, those spikes you are seeing are just that, spikes, and not really factored into any real-world power output). Considering OEM boost is about 11-12psi, you can see how important a 3bar is...that would've been the first mod I'd do, it's critical to unlocking the true potential of the engine. The t-stat is a "meh" mod. I've done it but it really doesn't change too much.

And for tunes...PLEASE stay away from the canned tunes, you're asking for trouble. Get with any of the reputable tuners (NOT Livernois) and get a real tune in there. These things require lots of torque management (more than you'd think) and you can break things pretty quickly.

Anyway, great work and keep it!

Nice setup! Definitely another FMIC to add to the wall of fame! Great work! I've been running the stock one still because the setup I am doing will be replumbing and rerouting the entire intake system, fabricating a custom core support, lots of work and $$$$ (ugh). One of the many projects on my to-do list that I can never seem to get to.

As for your boost, you'll never see more than what you currently have as you haven't installed you a 3bar MAP sensor yet. The OEM 2bar doesn't see more than 1bar above atmosphere, which means you can never get higher than 14.7psi of boost (and likely not even that, those spikes you are seeing are just that, spikes, and not really factored into any real-world power output). Considering OEM boost is about 11-12psi, you can see how important a 3bar is...that would've been the first mod I'd do, it's critical to unlocking the true potential of the engine. The t-stat is a "meh" mod. I've done it but it really doesn't change too much.

And for tunes...PLEASE stay away from the canned tunes, you're asking for trouble. Get with any of the reputable tuners (NOT Livernois) and get a real tune in there. These things require lots of torque management (more than you'd think) and you can break things pretty quickly.

I have the 3 bar map and

I already have a 3 bar map and Ford Racing (M-12405-35T) plugs from 5 star. I'm definitely getting a tune so I'll keep you guys posted after that gets done. Considering an exhaust mod still maybe resonator delete or cat back before the tune. Eventually I'll get the borla full exhaust and down pipes but that's later. I did another data log and my buddy was watching the x4 during a pull and said it never dipped below 14psi, hitting a max of 14.79psi again. I know I'm maxing out the stock map sensor but I'm close to a real tune with all that. Thanks for the nods on my setup though. I hope others will want to do this and it helps people understand better that it can be done easily for those of us with a lower budget. Hopefully all the photos are I put up can be seen from my link. Feel free to post them if anyone has access to do so.

I have the 3 bar map and

I already have a 3 bar map and Ford Racing (M-12405-35T) plugs from 5 star. I'm definitely getting a tune so I'll keep you guys posted after that gets done. Considering an exhaust mod still maybe resonator delete or cat back before the tune. Eventually I'll get the borla full exhaust and down pipes but that's later. I did another data log and my buddy was watching the x4 during a pull and said it never dipped below 14psi, hitting a max of 14.79psi again. I know I'm maxing out the stock map sensor but I'm close to a real tune with all that. Thanks for the nods on my setup though. I hope others will want to do this and it helps people understand better that it can be done easily for those of us with a lower budget. Hopefully all the photos are I put up can be seen from my link. Feel free to post them if anyone has access to do so.

Yeah, you physically cannot go beyond the 1bar boost limit of the factory 2bar MAP sensor. It's a 0-5vdc sensor...and you're reading all the way to 5vdc with no more room, you're going to need that 3bar MAP in before you can get past 14.7psi (the definition of 1 atmosphere or 1 bar). The tune is way more than just messing with boost...your'e going to need to manage that torque.

Again, stay away from the canned tunes, especially if you aren't tweaking it yourself. Torque management on the ecoboost lineup is a real thing...you're going to break something. Get a real tune from a real tuner.

You can get those plugs pretty much anywhere that sells Ford parts for a bit cheaper, btw. I usually don't buy stuff like that from tuners because they mark the stuff up.

I have the 3 bar map and

Thanks again man. I ordered the parts from Amazon yesterday. Will do it while i’m lowering and putting in new struts and shocks.

I vote downpipe if you can find them. I got the ppe catted DPs and the mrt axle back.

Maybe look into an AO tune. I had octane specific tunes from 5* but it never ran right. Had better luck with gearhead which required the 3 bar map.

Thanks again man. I ordered the parts from Amazon yesterday. Will do it while i’m lowering and putting in new struts and shocks.

I vote downpipe if you can find them. I got the ppe catted DPs and the mrt axle back.

Maybe look into an AO tune. I had octane specific tunes from 5* but it never ran right. Had better luck with gearhead which required the 3 bar map.
I've been looking at gearhead for tuning. Next on my list.

Nice job. I run the Treadstone TR8. Definetely a worthwhile mod.

Nice job. I run the Treadstone TR8. Definetely a worthwhile mod.

Your video is the one I saw that got me ready to do the same install. Thanks!

I saw in the video he used a hackzall. what did you use to cut the support?

I saw in the video he used a hackzall. what did you use to cut the support?
I used a dremel with a cut-off wheel. It melts/grinds it off. Super easy and quick to cut.

I used a dremel with a cut-off wheel. It melts/grinds it off. Super easy and quick to cut.
Thanks, i have one and was wondering if it would be enough.

Small problem. PIU aux transcooler cooler?
I’m not seeing a way to relocate ☹️
IMG-1361.jpg

IMG-1362.jpg

I have a PIU. The cooler is a non-issue. Unbolt it and flip it out of the way to the driver's side. Leave hoses connected. Cut off lower brackets with dremel. Upper brackets stay and are used to bolt it back on. The trans cooler will stay in the same location in front of the intercooler.

I have a PIU. The cooler is a non-issue. Unbolt it and flip it out of the way to the driver's side. Leave hoses connected. Cut off lower brackets with dremel. Upper brackets stay and are used to bolt it back on. The trans cooler will stay in the same location in front of the intercooler.
Thanks Brett!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Getting closer to finishing but at least the hoses are connected.

IMG-1500.jpg

Back