Custom Radius arm VS. 3 Link | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom Radius arm VS. 3 Link

So my question is:
What would make a better D.D and part time wheeler? I currently have my SAS on leafs, but I am going to cut it up very soon.
I am looking at the Ballistic Fab radius arm brackets that have the coil spring mount on them. And just build my own radius arm/Y link.

Or would it be better to do a 3 link setup and just make a small truss so I can weld the upper mount?

Whatcha think???

Chad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good question, I'd like to know too. I'm doing alot of studying and need as much info as possible. Chad, what are you doing with the current setup you're running?

The current setup is great, but I built it so it would not be that much of a lift. And the short shackles I used limit articulation somewhat, and I am ready to re build it so it really flexes. But I need it to be safe on the highway. I may just leave it alone and put on some longer shackles and see how it does.

These are the radius arm mounts I am planning on using. I wonder if the flex joints would be better than the bushings? I have seen people who use this setup remove the upper passenger side mount for more flex. But I have to admit, I dont understand why it would help with flex.

thumbnail1.jpg

BF_joint.jpg

Disconnecting the upper passenger side (I believe) would be like a "wristed" arm (pic below) like I had on my rig. You probably wouldn't notice a difference if you have the flex joints in those brackets or not.

3.jpg

I'll be building mine using the RE long arms (again like DB_1 built) which are adjustable, have great flex and has parts you can buy at most shops to replace anything you need. They have flex joints only at the frame mount.

063007_13263.jpg

I like the RE long arms, how is that setup much different then me making my own radius style links? The only difference I see is that the RE long arms have the upper link mount inward towards the diff, where in my setup the upper and lower arms will be parallel to each other. Does that angled upper mount make it possible for more flex?

Thanks for the replies...

Im not 100% on whether or not there is more flex with one or the other. I do know that the RE flexes really well, but if you make the radius arms at an "extended" length, you will have plenty of articulation. I had quite a bit with stock length arms with one wristed.

DB_1's RE style setup:

IMG_3568.jpg

My wristed arm setup:

DSCF0792.jpg

The RE style radius arm set up is a little more work than a stock EB radius arm set up is but you will get good on road manners and off road ability from either one.
I'm sure you've heard this already but getting the drag link and panhard bar set up right is important so you don't have bumpsteer or other quirky movements driving down the highway.
There are a few companies out there that build Rubicon Express type radius arms if you go that route but unfortunately RE is kinda out of business right now if you want to buy from them:
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/

I build my own arms and tranny X-member but bought brackets to mount them to the frame and axle. I also made my own axle truss for the upper links to mount to but in hindsight I would've had one made to fit my axle.

His build is great, but it isn't flexing much because he's got TTB coils in there. Those are WAY more stiff than anything you would want to use, such as the Wild Horse EB springs.

Looking for a pointer

Disconnecting the upper passenger side (I believe) would be like a "wristed" arm (pic below) like I had on my rig. You probably wouldn't notice a difference if you have the flex joints in those brackets or not.

3.jpg

I'll be building mine using the RE long arms (again like DB_1 built) which are adjustable, have great flex and has parts you can buy at most shops to replace anything you need. They have flex joints only at the frame mount.

063007_13263.jpg

Hi I'm about to build a set of long arms for my 91 Explorer. I was thinking about an adjustable set, but was undecided. Then i saw your pic here. I really like them. Would something like that work on my ttb set up. Any pointers would help. I'm new to this site and still getting used to it. Thanks Nate

The ranger is going under the knife this fall (fingers crossed) and I am stuck with radius arms (cast on wedges from a 79 bronco). I will be watching to see what you choose as I have always admired the 'trac.

Back