Radius arm make over | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radius arm make over

I've decided to try and see if I can get some kind of flex out of my set up so the plan is to sleeve my current radius arms with 1 3/8" ODx 7/8" ID .250 wall DOM and put 3/4 heims on the ends.
I've fabbed up some brackets from 3/8" plate steel and I ended up changing my design so I had to use the material I had already bought for the project. It would have been a lot easier to use the main plate coming off the frame with some 2 1/2" square tubing with a tab coming off of the bottom but oh well.
The radius arm brackets will mount just behind the tranny X-member with 4 bolts on the side and 2 on the underside of the frame. I'll eventually make a removable crossmember to tie the radius arms together.
I got all the heims, heim hardware and DOM tubing fron spidertrax.com. They have these heim dust boots i'm gonna try out too...couldn't hurt.

So here's some pics...first one you'll see what i have to work with on my truck. That radius arm is hanging there on it's own and if I put some weight on it, it doesn't go down much further if at all so you can imagine what that's doing for flex or lack therof.
Next pic is a template of the main plate i'm working from and the rest of the pics are the finished brackets ready for paint.

Attachments

• AGF00017.JPG
    AGF00017.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 697
  • AGF00002.JPG
    AGF00002.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 686
  • AGF00003a.JPG
    AGF00003a.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 677

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, just because you're driving a rig that has a front suspension worth more than the truck itself...lol :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you drove just as fast when you had your old explorer. I don't know how that drop bracket suspension lift held up.

Colin, will your new truck (when you get it) be wash-capable with a little 4-banger?

screw the 3.0. Do the 3.4 tacoma motor or a chevy 4.3. I think both those would be much more fun.

the ford 5.0L fits in there nicely too and with a light ass toyota it would haul...

Supra turbo straight six, thank you very much.
Of how about a Tundra 4.7L with TRD supercharger?

Not sure if you have seen these photos yet or not, but mine ramps over 1000 in reverse and has no wristed arm. I currently have my crossmember off and am building a beefier setup even though the crossmember I built has not failed me. It bolts up using the holes in the frame from the transfer case skid plate.

Attachments

• ramp rear tire.jpg
    ramp rear tire.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 189
  • My Pictures0009.jpg
    My Pictures0009.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 202

yep, sure have seen those :thumbsup: I really gotta ditch these TTB coils because there's absolutely no compression with them. They will be hitting the scrap pile soon. :D

Back