Dana 60 being installed under my 91 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 60 being installed under my 91

Progress has finally begun.
The Dana 60 is completed and ready for installation.

Here is the scoop.

I had a local shop put together a reverse cut Dana 60 with 5:13 Gears and an ARB. I am sticking with the ARB because I like it and my TTB had an ARB in it, so all the plumbing is there. The 60 has a center section from a 80s F-350. The Tubes are from something he had around the shop. The Axels are 35spline and cut to fit my application. I put in my order about 6 months ago. Due to him being a friend and letting him get parts as they became available, it took some time. I was not in any rush as I appreciate the work and cost involved if I were to have purchased it elsewhere.
Anyway, the axel is in and I almost completed the teardown. Let me say this. Half of the brackets and components under the front of my EX were either brocken or bent really bad. I had no idea it was such a mess under there. I am so glag the POS is out of there.

FST is going to build my front end. When completed it will have a 4 link and Coil Overs. The rear will be the 8.8 with 5:13s and a E-Locker. I will get springs to match the front end. I will be running 37 or 38 inch Boggers on 15 inch bead locks.

I forgot my camera I will have pictures next time around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds great. I cant wait to see some pictures.

Sounds great!

You could always fab up a companion 4-link and coilovers for the rear ;) The front and rear could use the same brackets in the center of the rig. That would give you more adjustability and articulation, and better rear axle control.

Just a thought.

I dont know of many who do the 4 link on the Explorer, so this should be great! I know there is alot of stuff in the way which can make it just that much harder, like the engine X member! It seems many people go with the radius arm and track bar setup because it is a natural fit.

I plan to do a 4 link in the rear of my BII someday, that should prove to be interesting :)
Lets see some pictures!! hahaha

What was all torn up? the axle pivot brackets? aftermarket lift?

Who's got your old ARB and gears now :)
I need a used ARB for the 8.8 31 spline......

This what I was waiting to see :D I don't know why people even bother with the D44 if you want to loose ground clearance over the D30 just go D60 or 44 with 60 outers. I can't wait to see this thing when it is done.

Is this the first Explorer running D60 front axle??

Not much explorer left on CoryL's though ;)

Originally posted by Hammer
I am so glad the POS is out of there.

The rear will be the 8.8 with 5:13s and a E-Locker.

A D60 front with an 8.8" rear? I ask, what is the point? That is like having the front of your house look incredible, but when you open the front door you realize there is nothing behind it.

D60 rears are cheap and a dime a dozen. Save yourself the hassle of wasting money on an 8.8" and swap in a 60 in the rear.

Moved to Projects...

Re: Re: Dana 60 being installed under my 91

Originally posted by CoryL
A D60 front with an 8.8" rear? I ask, what is the point? That is like having the front of your house look incredible, but when you open the front door you realize there is nothing behind it.

I agree that if you are replacing the locker and the gears go for a new axle. If you were just going to do the gears to save money then that's a different story.

I need a wider rear axle in order to build a rear suspension like Justin McNeil's under my truck. He's using a 9" out of a Lincoln Versaillis, but I don't want to go that route since those axles are hard to find and more expensive then other options. Jeremy will your guy build me a shortened D-60 for the rear :D

I hate to jinx it Cory, but one thing we've never seen is an axle failure in an 8.8" so it's not like they're a POS that can't take any abuse. Not everyone can afford all the toys at once :D

Re: Re: Re: Dana 60 being installed under my 91

Originally posted by Rick
Not everyone can afford all the toys at once :D

I paid $50 for a rear D60. Add on $15 for spring perches and $10 for shock brackets and you are running.

That said, it would be best to go ahead and replace all the brake hardware, so that will set you back a few hunderd more.

Glad to see a 60 going under your Explorer instead of axles made for lighter vehicles. I would also agreee, with a 60 front why have a weaker rear end. I would go with a C&C 14 bolt in the rear, for under $500 you can have a very stout rear axle with disc brakes and a detroit locker. Sounds like a sweet project, cant wait to see it finished.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dana 60 being installed under my 91

Originally posted by CoryL
I paid $50 for a rear D60. Add on $15 for spring perches and $10 for shock brackets and you are running.

And that came with 5:13s and a locker for $50? Dang, I need one.

If he already has a rear locker for the 8.8" that saves $600.

Is that a brand name??? Never heard the name/term before...
a cab and chassis 14 bolt is the narrowest factory 14 bolt diff you can get, cab and chassis is the term used for a pickup sold without a box on the back thus making it..... cab and chassis ;)

awsome i want to see pic's and lot's of em when you get into the build :D look's like alot of fun!

i see no real benifit in going with a 14 bolt rear in an explorer besides increasing unsprung weight, a D60 semi or full floater would be a nice upgrade too but thing's add up when you do alot of custom work.

Narrow a D60 housing $200
Custom axles to match housing $400
ARB or locker of choice..... you get the picture

The EB 9" rear i am getting ready to build is going to be in the $1500cdn range and the only special thing about it is the 31 spline strange axles and full spool..... if not for the c-clip's in the 8.8" and lack of full spool availablility i would have kept it.
just my .02

Here is the only thing I see wrong with the whole plan. Why put an electronic locker in the rear if you already have an ARB up front? Also buy a 9" and put the 35 spline shafts in it and call it good. With the 9" you have much more ground clearance and weighs a lot less than the 60. the rear is where you need more ground clearance anyway in my opinion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alec: I plan on setting it up for the rear to go in some day. Whatever they can build now and save time and money later I will try and take advantage of.
410Fortune: I put a Superlift 5.5" lift on it 4 years ago. It did fine but a waste of money if your serious about offroading. I have a TTB Dana 35 with an ARB and 4:56 gears that I removed. I beleive I have a buyer for them already.
CoryL: I like the 8.8, It is a stout axel. It will do fine with my 4.0L engine and Auto Trans. I am starting to rebuild a 5.0 to swap into this and when that is complete I will finish the project with a rear Dana 60. I agree that rear Dana 60s are cheap, but the suspention components are not. I want to run CoilOvers and a 4Link.
Rick: Of course he will build you one. He is a great guy I will get you his information. I am going to be at FST all day Saturday. Come in if you have the time.
HVAC Man: A Ford 9" would be great. If I have the Cash when I am ready for the rear suspention project I will go that route. However the Dana 60 is less expensive.

Saturday I will be completing the disasembly and I will take some progress Pictures then.

Back