Daniel's (Insert Catch Phrase Here) '03 Ranger | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Daniel's (Insert Catch Phrase Here) '03 Ranger

cause I gave him one is why. :D

Scott, I have no doubt it will free up power, and save fuel. Do it.

What about the parasitic drag of the alternator due to the extra power required to drive the fan?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about the parasitic drag of the alternator due to the extra power required to drive the fan?

Fan does not run at highway speed.
And, unlike a mechanical fan and clutch, it switches off when not needed at low speeds.

Wow, there have been so many write ups on electric fan installs here, I can't believe there are still any doubts as to the benefits, especially the fuel economy aspect. Drag on the alternator? Hardly. I mean it's a good thought, it makes sense, but been talked about many times.

I've read some of the threads, and talked with several very competent mechanics/technicians. How shall we say, the two don't agree. :(

I've read some of the threads, and talked with several very competent mechanics/technicians. How shall we say, the two don't agree. :(

well,
If mechanics and technicians were all competent and 100 percent correct, we wouldn't need this forum ;)

consider this

Lexus SUV's use a hydraulic motor to drive the fan. Did they do this because it was easy? I doubt it. It takes rotating mass away from the engine load by eliminating the fan. Using hydraulics, and a simple coupler valve, they eliminated all wiring. They also used a rotating pump for dual purpose.

Now, how cool is that?

(pun)

Remember that the mechanical fan is ALWAYS being driven, even when it is not needed. That , is without a doubt, wasted energy.

well,
If mechanics and technicians were all competent and 100 percent correct, we wouldn't need this forum ;)

Remember that the mechanical fan is ALWAYS being driven, even when it is not needed. That , is without a doubt, wasted energy.

I understand that. But a high amperage load on the electrical system will increase the work required by the alternator, thus putting more drag on the engine.

The question is, how does that load compare to the mechanical fan's load?

The manufacture's priority is low cost, then ease of assembly, not maximum overall system efficiency.

I understand that. But a high amperage load on the electrical system will increase the work required by the alternator, thus putting more drag on the engine.

The question is, how does that load compare to the mechanical fan's load?

The manufacture's priority is low cost, then ease of assembly, not maximum overall system efficiency.

Scott,

we have met, and, I think of you as a person of great intelligence. Above mine that is for sure.

Using your own instinct--try to forget what the engineers or whatever told you.

In your own words, cost is the main factor. Then why would they spend more on an electrical, or hydraulic setup then a simple 40 dollar belt driven fan, if it had no benefit? Not to mention a whole re design cost?

Fact is, manufacturers are squeezing every MPG they can out of cars and trucks these days. Electric and hydraulic cooling fans are a big help to this.

There is a also mindset that new "computer controlled" cars are not as efficient as old carbuerators. I hear it every day. I can find all kinds of technicians to " proove" this on line, or, out in the real world. We all know better though.

Change isn't always bad. What is bad is that some with authority fight the good stuff, and use their pre requisites to "dispute" a good change.

I think they call that a paradigm

To compare what the fan kicking on does, if feels similar to the A/C clutch drawing maybe a little more.

In system efficiency, as it has been pointed out by Jon, he fan only draws when it needs to, which is better than the viscous fan. Viscous fans are heavy and do not very the pitch the blades to decrease the load with engine speed is at higher engine speeds, it takes more to pull the fan (this is taking into account the clutch being engaged). Also by the very nature of the fan, when you begin to accelerate the fan will drag more during acceleration and the fan slows down once you have reach a stable engine.

Also, as Jon brought up an interesting point when I was talking with him the other night about the problem of the fan turning to a generator driving. down the highway. I could hook it up to a voltage regulator and charge my battery (not that it is probably necessary but a very cool idea none the less.

Also, efficiency depends on how the fan is wired, mine is thermostatically controlled so it only runs when it needs to if it were constantly on the effects are probably negligible. Which is only when the truck is stationary or at very low speeds ~10mph or slower. Since the weather is cooler, the fan rarely runs at those times. Finally, it allows the engine to warm up more quickly and reach operating temperature faster. I don't think I need to argue the benefits of a warm engine.

Sorry for the long post but I kinda got carried away. :D

Great looking Ranger!!! Keep up the good work. I need to come to an off-road event to meet some of you guys from KS.

Daniel, thanks for checking out my build, I'm liking what you've done with your Ranger!

Oh btw, how did the Ranger do out at Ouray? I'm planning on going late July, my wife's not sure about Black Bear Pass, hell *I'M* the one afraid of heights LOL.

You will be fine!! Just take your time and respect the edge and it was no problem!

The ranger has been sad since the Two-Fifty moved in, so I thought it was time for a little TLC.

Her frame and fender wells were looking a little under the "Road Salt" Weather, I thought a little clean up might be in order.

Before:

F250065.jpg

F250068.jpg

After:
F250086.jpg

F250072.jpg

F250087.jpg

F250088.jpg

Very pretty. Bed liner? I love that stuff. It's all over my bumpers, rockers, and other low lying, heavy abuse areas!

Actually, it is undercoating. Gonna do some more under the rockers.

Also, got some 750lb Eibachs coming, the old 650's are sagging something fierce.

Alright, the ranger just got a 2k shakedown to Ouray and back.

My parents were able to wheel with me which is great. My pops is one heck of a jeep pilot.

Near the end of Governor Basin
ouray2010060.jpg

ouray2010058.jpg

Corkscrew Gulch
ouray2010123.jpg

Engineer Pass
ouray2010133.jpg

ouray2010188.jpg

ouray2010193.jpg

What a goober!
ouray2010144.jpg

ouray2010231.jpg

The Lovely Lady came with and even rode the entirety of Black Bear
ouray2010211.jpg

Oh Black Bear!
ouray2010330.jpg

ouray2010359.jpg

ouray2010371.jpg

THE END
ouray2010112.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back