Daniel's (Insert Catch Phrase Here) '03 Ranger | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Daniel's (Insert Catch Phrase Here) '03 Ranger

...Cool pics and always glad to see the old folks out wheeling too...:biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hard to believe it was almost a year ago that we out there. :(

Looks like you had great weather.

And, of course, the Ranger looks good in the mountains!:D

Hey Daniel,

Just curious, what would be your review of your Bestop Supertop? I am thinking about a cap of somesort for my ranger. I like the durability of a fiberglass cap, but I'm not sure I want to have it be almost permanent. I really only want bed protection for autumn, winter, and a bit of spring. I like the look of the Supertop and it's folding ability, but I'm not sure how long it will last.

I know Bestop rates the top for 3-5 years, but I would like to get more years out of one if I had it. I see you have had your ranger for over 72,000 miles and
-want to know how long you have had your supertop?
Are you pleased with it?
Would you recommend it?
Is it worth it?
If properly maintained, will it last longer than 3-5 years?

Thanks

I don't know it is still in the air. I have had mine a year and a half. I had mine on solid for that time and the zippers are showing a little weathering but the top itself looks new. I am beginning to use it just for winter/fall since I have a place to store it.

As far as my thoughts on it.

In high winds, you can't travel 80 mph (oh, well the ranger is slow anywho)

I am very pleased with it and I would recommend it for the occasional topper user.

It comes off very nicely. If you are concerned about the price, start looking at fiberglass toppers. I priced them before I bought this one, and it would cost me three times what this one did. If figure if this one dies in 3-5 years, I will still be money ahead to buy another one.

That is a good point. If you said that the fiberglass cap would cost 3 times that, and each bestop lasts you about 5 years, you would go through 3 bestops over 15 years and cost the same price as a fiberglass topper. And you may not keep the truck for that long, so it may be worth it.

Thanks for the info.

d44007.jpg

And so it begins...

The plans for a hp d44 from a 79 fs bronco :p::
Zip Locker
4.56s
complete rebuild (mostly stock)

Oh...and 6 inches narrower:D

Progress looks awesome, are you going to be able to just run EB shafts with the narrowed width.

Progress looks awesome, are you going to be able to just run EB shafts with the narrowed width.

If he lucks out like I did, his stock shaft should bolt right up.

If he lucks out like I did, his stock shaft should bolt right up.

I was talking about the axleshafts since he is changing the width.

Yup, the plan is aftermarket Spicer shafts (760x) u-joint. As for the d-shaft it may bolt up but might end up being too short.

The mailman dropped of some fun presents.

axle001.jpg

axle002.jpg

The build is starting. Picture will come with the progress.

More Progress. New bearings, air locker, new brakes, warn premiums, and a little custom color. Now waiting to start towards the end of the month.
0923121811a.jpg

0923121810a.jpg

Looks to be coming along nicely!!!

Is it worth having the dust shields on? Mine used to get clogged with mud and it was a pain to clean, so I took them off if I remember correctly.

That is going to work nicely under your Ranger. Pictures can't get the true tone of the green, but it is going to look sick with the dark blue

The EB shaft was perfect 6 in. off the long side.

Is it worth having the dust shields on? Mine used to get clogged with mud and it was a pain to clean, so I took them off if I remember correctly.
This truck doesn't really see any mud unless it prevents me from getting to a rock garden. So I am not too worried about the dust covers.

The green looks rocking on the axle. I took those with a cell phone. :rolleyes:

Man, this thing has serious lead in its drawers now that it is back together.

Doh! More projects rather than progress...just picked up a lightly used warn XD9000 Pictures to follow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back