• Register Today It's free!

db meter from walmart

bigtigga84

Reaction score
City, State
Georgetown, Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport
so yeah, i was in wally world and saw a soche db meter. it was 20 bucks, and on clearance, so i had to get it. so assuming it may be correct(not too sure of it but assuming) is 125.5db out of two 12's good??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats a bull crap meter...not even close to what it really is....I have never tested with this meter but it cant be close to a term lab meter...

I hate that they even sell it cause its not a true representation of a sound system DB meter....

It is funny...LOL.... I have never tested it....Did you try it with a music cd or a db cd? and i dont know weither it was high or low...I would say that it was a higher figure that it actually is...

I want one to see what my 412s will do on it....I can prob hit 160 on that baby...LOL

I only run 148-149 db on a term lab meter....There good meters...

it was the new akon cd. wanna.... well the radio edit is love you. track 4. i also tried a couple of the song off 10,000 Fists- Disturbed. It was around the same thing 120-125. oh well, it will make a nice mirror ornament.

Thats a bull crap meter...not even close to what it really is....I have never tested with this meter but it cant be close to a term lab meter...

I hate that they even sell it cause its not a true representation of a sound system DB meter....

If you've never tested it, how do you know it's a "bull crap meter"? Who knows, it might be close to being accurate.

Gotta find a proper meter, and compare the two

i think its a max of 135db, not positive though

If you've never tested it, how do you know it's a "bull crap meter"? Who knows, it might be close to being accurate.

Gotta find a proper meter, and compare the two

It cost 20 dollars.....its not a hard thing to think of.....I have been a few db competions...its not even close.... I know where a proper meter is...i know what i run on that meter...

:thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

It cost 20 dollars.....its not a hard thing to think of.....I have been a few db competions...its not even close.... I know where a proper meter is...i know what i run on that meter...

:thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

The fact you've been to competitions means almost nothing.

You might say something like "Two 12" might give 105 Dbs, so I'd say that meter is crap". That way you'd qualify your statement with personal knowledge, rather than personal opinion (eg, that a $20 meter can't measure accurately). I've seen many "cheap" meters (voltage, range finders, etc) that work as well as the high-end versions, given a non-extreme environment.

So, given the original poster said he had two 12", what is a typical Db range he might see? And, how can an internet expert provide any estimations, without knowing the wattage/configuration?

Any dB meter, no matter the cost should be at least somewhat accurate (2-3%) at at least one nominal level. And every dB meter is going to read different, depending on calibration, quality and environmental conditions. Also the original poster never mentioned what settings (scale and speed) his meter was setup for to get his reading, so you can't even start to guess if it was "close" or not.
In fact that meter would be just fine for referencing relative differences in his setup (up until it reached its peak reading).

ok, the things not all that hi-tech at all. on/off, and some **** about hi/low but i didn't read the instructions enough to worry about what that ment. and it was more than 20, it was on sale. i don't doubt any that it is a peice of crap, i thought it was more funny that anything. i know somebody that works at a local sound shop, i'm going to get the db level tested and see how the walmart one stands up.

The fact you've been to competitions means almost nothing.

You might say something like "Two 12" might give 105 Dbs, so I'd say that meter is crap". That way you'd qualify your statement with personal knowledge, rather than personal opinion (eg, that a $20 meter can't measure accurately). I've seen many "cheap" meters (voltage, range finders, etc) that work as well as the high-end versions, given a non-extreme environment.

So, given the original poster said he had two 12", what is a typical Db range he might see? And, how can an internet expert provide any estimations, without knowing the wattage/configuration?

I never provided an estimate.. Do not put words in my mouth...Read what i said and think about it first.....I never said "two 12 might give 105Dbs" That will vary with every setup...With the cabin air space...amps number of subs and so on.......Cheap voltage meters are a complety diffrent story...Providing a true and accruate db number takes good meters....The highest quality meters have a diffrence from 2 to 3 percent like like jeff said...There is a diffrence between how they are make....

All i am saying is that if you want to know what your db is go and get it checked. Do not rely on a meter from walmart. Most electronic expresses have a db meter. At least the one where i go does. That is all i use electronic express for.

I will promise you that that meter will not be right...Not even to 2 to 3 %...

ok, the things not all that hi-tech at all. on/off, and some **** about hi/low but i didn't read the instructions enough to worry about what that ment. and it was more than 20, it was on sale. i don't doubt any that it is a peice of crap, i thought it was more funny that anything. i know somebody that works at a local sound shop, i'm going to get the db level tested and see how the walmart one stands up.

I will be waiting on the results on the your test...:thumbsup:

TL is different that other meters, it measures pressure, i wont read much of anything if you yell into it, i have an epic 160 indash meter, its ghetto, just weird the way it does

TL is different that other meters, it measures pressure, i wont read much of anything if you yell into it, i have an epic 160 indash meter, its ghetto, just weird the way it does

That is true...

I never provided an estimate.. Do not put words in my mouth...Read what i said and think about it first.....I never said "two 12 might give 105Dbs" That will vary with every setup...With the cabin air space...amps number of subs and so on.......Cheap voltage meters are a complety diffrent story...Providing a true and accruate db number takes good meters....The highest quality meters have a diffrence from 2 to 3 percent like like jeff said...There is a diffrence between how they are make....

All i am saying is that if you want to know what your db is go and get it checked. Do not rely on a meter from walmart. Most electronic expresses have a db meter. At least the one where i go does. That is all i use electronic express for.

I will promise you that that meter will not be right...Not even to 2 to 3 %...

I never put words in your mouth...I said (and you quoted me) "you might say two 12s might give 105 Dbs".

"You might" meaning, you could have (and probably should have) said something about *why* you think an el-cheapo Db meter is "crap." (Besides the price and purchase location)

Only way to tell for sure is to compare it with a real audio test, which bigtigga84 is going to do...and I'm sure we're all be waiting for the results.

2%-3% is very generous imho. I'd guess it's accurate to within 10%. Of course, given that Dbs are on a logarithmic scale, numbers that are "close" may not be "close" in terms of perceived loudness.

:D

And that's the key: LOUDNESS! LOTS OF IT!!

:eek: :confused: :)

2%-3% is very generous imho. I'd guess it's accurate to within 10%. Of course, given that Dbs are on a logarithmic scale, numbers that are "close" may not be "close" in terms of perceived loudness.
I believe those numbers came from me. The 'cheap' dB meters I'm used to seeing are the Radio Shack brand. They claim to be 2-3% accurate at 125dB with no mention of accuracy along the rest of the scale. :confused:

The diffrence between this meter and the meters used to check you db with in a car audio system it the better meters deal with pressure. Thats why it is SPL. Sound Pressure League (SP). I dont know how the one at walmart works but im sure its not accurate.

I cant say that 2 12's are going to do this number. I have seen 2 8's hit the same as 2 12's. Difffrence in setup. I dont know what he is running. There are to many variables not accoundted for in this thread. However i can speculate that that meter is not accurate. Therefore a useless pile of crap. But it does make for some funny talk when riding around with friends. This is like the meter that PimpMyRide put in that car. It will not be accurate. It is for show only.

You guys might be surprised how accurate it really is--I say might-

There are some pretty accurate digital guitar tuners selling for less than 10 bux-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i tested it, it's junk. max 135 two twelves can easily do over a 135

Back