City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
DEAL Of a lifetime - The $1000 97 XLT

OKay so craigslist owns all

You guys will not believe the deal we just got on a 1997 XLT 4.0L OHV 4x4 automatic

This truck has 138K miles on it and is in prestine condition.
The previous owner posted it for sale yesterday on our local craigslist, I was the first to contact him, so he gave us the first shot at this truck, he claimed to have gotten 20+ emails on it already.

The ad read:

1997 XLT automatic explorer, cranks but wont start $1000

We drove across town went and looked at it, I found the fuel pump was coming on but the fuel rail pressure was very low.
We gave him $1000 and he signed over the title. We went to K mart to buy a tow strap (left in a rush forgot mine) and went back to get the truck. Owner pulled it out of the garage onto the driveway. I gave it another shot and low and behold the truck fired right up!

It smoked white smoke for about 1 minute then it cleared up 100%.
The truck drove 45 miles home with 0 issues

$1000 97 XLT with 138K, no leaks, everything works, well maintained
I suspect fuel pump is weak, but working.
I found 3 codes:
P0133
P0442
P0401

I cleared the codes before the drive home, when checking fluids at the gas station I found the EGR hose was disconnected. I reconnected it and the CEL did not come back on for the entire drive home.

Truck has new tires :)

Pics coming later...new Ford to the family!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good find it sounds like. They want too much for all of them around here. Well, I am looking at newer though, with low miles. I need something more reliable.

...DAMN...that's a killer find...:D
...i'll give you $1100 for it...;) j/k...

I would have liked to seen the look on his face when it started.

Yea seems like a good find but honestly that is about all they are worth anymore. With the chain issues and other demons X's value's have dropped alot. I mean you can get an 01-02 Ex with under 100k for 4 grand. But when they run they do run great.

In Colorado a 97 4x4 in this condition sells daily for $3000-4000
I could sell it for a big profit after I install a fuel pump, but its so clean we are gonna keep it

time to play the lottery as luck is on your side :)

luck for sure, but also wathcing CL like a hawk, every toyota and ford deal like this I can find I email...about 1 out of 10 call me back

Last year I picked up that 98 Mounty for $1500, I robbed all the parts I needed including the interior and the cd player, infinity sub, amp, wheels, tires, hoses, wires, etc and then I sold it for $1500 :)

luck for sure, but also wathcing CL like a hawk, every toyota and ford deal like this I can find I email...about 1 out of 10 call me back

It's true there are some great deal on CL, but you got to be fast...or forget it (note my $500 B2:D )

I towed away a running '95 XLT for $50 one time. Given it had no interior, rear ring gear was grenaded and the transmission was questionable...

But I still pulled sellable parts off of it and sold it to a junkyard a day later for $400

:)

been thinking about the codes:

1st code was B1 sensor 1 slow to respond. Can be an exhaust leak.
EGR tube on drivers manifold was open to atmosphere = exhuast leak

2nd code is EVAP system leak
I guess this could be caused by the EGR hose being disconnected? not sure on that one but I will check all the EVAP system hoses to be safe

3rd code is EGR flow in sufficient 0 no brainer
Quite possible all 3 codes were related to the EGR hose

Fuel pressure test is in order, as is a trans flush and a complete detail

Pictures coming after work

This truck is going to be the daily driver for my girls kid. He is already talking body lift, 2" TT, 33's, etc etc :)
He makes good $$$ so I look forward to building this sucker with him

we currently have 6 trucks out front, 3 of them explorers hehehe who needs cars?

Okay sorry for the delay

truck is registered and insured :)

We have done:
trans pan drop, new fluid and filter
plugs and wires (all plugs look GOOD) New Autolite plats and Bosch wires gapped to .055
oil and filter
fuel filter
new license plate light
cleaned battery terminals
fixed EGR hose
cleared codes
tested fuel pressure, 38# at idle
full detail :)

Drove it last night 50+ miles, CEL returned
tensioner pulley is shot, replacing today
need to check brakes but look good without taking the wheel off
We will be checking those today

needs: radio bezel (broken)
steam clean

...pics please...:D

Its not for me, its for James, Julee's son
He had a 90 4 runner with 250K and a ton of rust.

The original plan was to fix and flip, but that has changed...now the 4 runner is up for sale.....

I have 3 explorer's at my house right now :) I like it :)

We are gonna lift this sucker and stick 33's under it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its not for me, its for James, Julee's son
He had a 90 4 runner with 250K and a ton of rust.

The original plan was to fix and flip, but that has changed...now the 4 runner is up for sale.....

I have 3 explorer's at my house right now :) I like it :)

We are gonna lift this sucker and stick 33's under it

Get some 16" stock rims then TT/shackles. I know where you can get a great deal on some sweet 265's ;)

Back