Desprately Seeking Working Transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Desprately Seeking Working Transmission

Corey

Reaction score
Help!
I'm stuck in North Carolina.
Here is the story.
Today I was driving down to N.C. from Philadelphia, PA.,with my Family(Mom,sister,sister's boyfriend, and their dog). Everything was going great until I attempted to get out of cruise control by tapping the brake. There was a high pitch whirling, grinding sound eminating from the tranny (Mazda five speed manual). It came out of gear, but the shifter was still in 5th gear. I was immediatly able to get back into gear by appling the clutch, taking it out of, and back into 5th. This happened again then and I was not able to put it into gear. I pulled over, and stoped (said some choice words) To make a very long story short. The tranny will not stay in gear if the engine is not pulling the car. If I go down hill, even with the clutch fully depressed and in nuetral, the tranny makes this horrible sound and I have to stop before I can put it into gear. My sisters boyfriend is a gear head and has no idea what is going on in there. He said the synchro mesh or some thing like that is broke or something. We made it to our final destination, pulling over a lot and accelerating down big hills in the Appalachians. The tranny will not take a braking load from the engine.
Any info will be appreciated.
Happy Thanksgiving

Back