Diamond Clear Corners Install on a '99 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diamond Clear Corners Install on a '99

Due to the consummate cluster f**** in attempting to get diamond corners from another supplier on a group buy, I decided to simply order them from an E Bay seller ( assembleweb http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=assembleweb ). This transaction was flawless and simple. The seller provided immediate Fed Ex tracking data. I highly recommend this seller. The packaging of the corners was outstanding. The cost was $58.95 to my door.

I was pleasantly surprised to find these clear corners to be as nice ( quality wise ) as OEM and much better looking,

The installation is a extremely simple 2 screw ( per corner housing ) removal and disconnection of three light plugs. Replacement is just the reverse. Total installation time was about 10 minutes.

Given that I wanted the nice clean look of non-amber bulbs, I opted for Sylvania SilverStar 3157 bulbs ( http://www.costore.com/performanceshop/productenlarged.asp?peid=34&pid=298206 ); these bulbs appear a silverish color when not illuminated and amber when energized. Unfortunately I had to install without SilverStars; I wnt to 5 different auto parts stores and none had a single 3157.

These corners add the finishing tough to a much “cleaner” lustrous look to the Explorers front when combined with the diamond clear headlights. I can’t wait to get the SilverStars in there.

Attachments

• screw.jpg
    screw.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,805
  • clear vs stock.jpg
    clear vs stock.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,793
  • installed.jpg
    installed.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,816

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

same here, but i got mine to turn (with a little force), and now it works perfectly (took them off 2 times to install my grill)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

jimcom said:
Looks good Al, I got mine from sabersport on ebay. 54 bucks shipped I believe. One small nitpick I have is the hole for the 912 bulb seems to be poorly cut. When inserted the bulb does not turn and lock like the others. It's a small defect, and one I'm willing to live with. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this problem.
I bought chrome lights for all six bulbs, I haven't had the best of luck with painted bulbs in the past, but I figured I'd give them another try. I too like the bluish/rainbow look of the silverstars, and I may go back to them if the chrome/silver paint burns off these bulbs like they did before.
Overall, a nice mod. :thumbsup:

Anybody else got a source...procarparts want $145!!

145 isn't too bad for the headlights. Some of us were able to get them in a GB for less, but thats the going rate for them now. Figure 145+ for the headlights and 55+ for the corners and you have a whole new look to your front end for 200+ bucks. :thumbsup:

aldive said:
How does the 12th ov never sound?

What are you talking about? Make some sense next time.

you also got to remember that your buying a part for a car that hardly anyone fixes-up, therefore even a little mod could cost bucks

jimcom said:
Ok then, glad I wasn't the only one:), I hesistated to even bring it up, but I figured if mine had it others might as well.
Like you, my passenger side was also fine, just the drivers side needed a little "convincing" :)

Ditto.

jimcom said:
145 isn't too bad for the headlights. Some of us were able to get them in a GB for less, but thats the going rate for them now. Figure 145+ for the headlights and 55+ for the corners and you have a whole new look to your front end for 200+ bucks. :thumbsup:

Got them from here for $124 Should have them by next week...same place I got my lights for the Mustang

124 is a darn good price!
Too bad these places overcharge for shipping, lol.
99 bucks for the lights and 25 to ship is just silly.
Makota sells a lot of stuff on ebay too.

I scored my original clear corners from Makota. Seems that all those places are related to each other somehow (as Draft has mentioned in the past). Makota, PCP, Revotec etc. They all are based on SoCal and all seem to sell the same stuff, except PCP which doesn't have the Diamond Cut corners and Revotec does. ;)

They're all outsourced retailers from China. That's all they do.

They look awesome but whats the deal with the black in the front? I am sure youve been asked that many times but I have been wondering for a while. Also, your paint look so good.

newc5188 said:
They look awesome but whats the deal with the black in the front? I am sure youve been asked that many times but I have been wondering for a while. Also, your paint look so good.

my sentiments exactly.... :confused:

aldive said:
I have no clue as to what you are saying???????????

The corner light housing holds 3 bulbs; 2 anber ( or silverstar type ) and 1 white.

Say Al, what kind of bulb are you using in the corner lights, a regular 912 or a "hyper-white" bulb? If the hyper bulb, where did you get it from?

The clear corners look great!

Michael

mdriggan said:
Say Al, what kind of bulb are you using in the corner lights, a regular 912 or a "hyper-white" bulb? If the hyper bulb, where did you get it from?

The clear corners look great!

Michael

Standard 912 bulb, for now at least.

Got the 3157 Silver Star bulbs in today. Looks much better than the amber ones.

Pics tomorrow.

I have noticed that the Silver Star 3157 bulbs do not show as bright an amber as the standard amber 3157s during the daytime; at night, all is fine. Is it just me or do others notice this also.

Attachments

• star1.jpg
    star1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 523
  • star3.jpg
    star3.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 528

Al,

Do you have a pic of the silverstars on at night? I would be interested in seeing the difference.

Michael

I had the SStars and the light output at nighttime is negligible - i had the same exact setup as AL but did not like the OEM bulb in the corner, so i sold the SS's and bought chrome bulbs at www.autolumination.com, much better looking IMO...and <$25 shipped to my door. (I've yet to paint the sockets to blend - couldn't find the wifeys nailpolish ;)) I bought the superwhite 916 (906) for the chrome corner, but it's very blue at night.

Don't mind the dirty lenses, as i am afraid to wash the X for fear of the dreadful coondensation monster!

25243DSCF0014.jpg

25243DSCF0019.jpg

The SStars looked like trash on normal clear corners, but I'll be damned, they look pretty good on the diamond ones. Wish I didn't sell them. :(

Back