Diary of a stealth mounted subwoofer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diary of a stealth mounted subwoofer

TTG

Reaction score
City, State
Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
Day 0.5: Everything came in today. After I got out of work I had a little sunlight left so I went out and installed the head unit adaptor from Crutchfield. Everything went simple and I woulda done more, but that damn sun went down.

Day 1: Woke up early and got started with everything. First task was to disconnect the negative side of the battery, then rip the door panels off and install the new speakers. Went simply and without problem. Next task was to run the wires for the amplifier bypass. Took the rear side panel off after a little bit of time, and unhooked the amp. Hooked the output of the amp into the harness for the bypass and removed the amplifier from the truck. With that taken care of I hid the wires for the harness and ran the remote turn on and RCA wires for my amplifier to the designated home of the amplifier. I decided after looking at the insides of he truck to stash it behind the bracket for the rear speaker, right underneath that speaker. To get it in I'm gonna have to take that bracket off though. No big deal. Installed the Headunit and reconnected that battery to test the system as it was. Everything worked great and sounded awesome, other than the lack of the bass my subwoofer would deliver. For the person who likes less bass the EQ could have been calibrated to an adequate level, but I like my bass and my sub. Went to Home Depot and acquired my MDF.

All that's left to do is run the power for the amp, run the ground for the amp, mount and hook up the amp, build the box, install the sub. Unfortunately I can't build the box until Monday as I have to use the tablesaw at work, as well as the staple gun and sealant there.

I think I'm gonna build my box, then build an exact copy of it. That way I'd have 2, one to use, and one to sell or some such. If anyone is in the market for one, PM me some offers.

Day 2: Problems started. Sub box measurements were wrong. Not too bad since the box hadn't been constructed yet though. The big problem though is the amplifier. The designated spot for it has been found to be a bad spot, and there's not really any other places for it. Opposite of where the subwoofer will be is where the jack and rear washer fluid is. Under the seats there is a metal bar that the amp won't fit under. The place I want to put it is about the only place it could fit, but it'd require a custom made bracket to fit it in. And its not accessible, like at all. So I'd need to adjust it perfectly before I put the panel back on. And getting airflow to it is another problem...

How big is your amp? If you relocate the RAP module in the passenger side quater panel (move it forward a few inches), then a decent sized amp will fit infront of the gas filler bulge. Airflow has not been a problem, I'm running a pretty beefy Alpine V12 back there.

It's 14x10 inches, not a small amp. had kinda wanted to shy away from putting it on the other side of the truck, but if it has to be done then thats that. how hard is it to move the RAP?

Back