• Register Today It's free!

Did a 2fer today

Elfiero

Reaction score
City, State
Golden valley, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Limited
I did a twofer today on my Exploder. I took the wheels and brake calipers off and lubed the pad mounts and the slider pins. Then I installed OEM mudflaps on all four corners. So now I’ve installed OEM- window shades, bug deflector and the mudflaps. I have also added a drain plug to the PTU. I’m hoping I’ve covered the weak spots in this sorta-SUV.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What type of drain plug did you use?

Yes, please provide details, size of hole you drilled, tap size etc. Also a photo of where you drilled the hole would be helpful.

Drain plug? What's this issue? New owner, would like to get ahead of any issues.

I installed a 1/4NPT plug. I will take some pics next time I have it jacked up for an oil change. I installed it so the gear oil doesn't drain onto the exhaust y-pipe. To Grok- it is easier to say, just do a search of this forum(or youtube) and you will learn all about it. I will give you a hint- PTU.

Do you have a drain plug at all on your PTU? If so is it on the lower side of the PTU case? I have a 2017 Explorer with the 2.3 EB and the PTU has a drain plug on the bottom/underside of the PTU. Draining and filling the PTU is easy to do with this set up. I know earlier PTU's didn't have drain plugs and some of the fill plugs have the temp sensor which made filling or draining if through the fill plug a real chore.

Whimsey

Whimsey: I don’t know about other exploders. But my Non-turboed v6 did not have a drain plug. And placement of the “level” plug made it impossible to fill from that point. I installed a longer vent hose and filled there. I filled until gear lube ran out of the level plug. I used valvoline 90w140 full syn. Going forward, I plan on changing it every fall. Given what these modern megamall, soccer mom SUVs cost, I want to make it last more than a few years.

Going forward, I plan on changing it every fall. Given what these modern megamall, soccer mom SUVs cost, I want to make it last more than a few years.
Good idea. You wouldn't want to miss a soccer game.:D

Peter

Back