Explorer bangs into gear after hard stops | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT V6 4WD
08 Explorer V6 4WD, 5R55, 25,000 original miles. I got the truck from the original owner a few months ago with 22k and immediately did a transmission drain and fill with Mercon V. I also replaced the filter and put a new pan and drain plug on it. Anyways, whenever I come to an abrupt stop or have to stop in an emergency situation, my Explorer goes “limp” and wont move when I take my foot off the brake unless I rev it up. When I do this it bangs into gear hard as if I was neutral slamming it—though I never took it out if drive in the first place! The truck is absolutely flawless otherwise and the transmission fluid was fairly clean (dark red color) when I replaced it. I assume it was the original fluid given the mileage. Again, this only happens after I stop hard. Any help would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like low fluid condition.
Brad

I concur, low fluid.

I concur, low fluid.
Good observations! But why? Sudden deceleration moves all the transmission pan contents FORWARD, possibly exposing intake to air, which "shuts off" the hydraulics. Motionless, the fluid runs back to pan center.

08 Explorer V6 4WD, 5R55, 25,000 original miles. I got the truck from the original owner a few months ago with 22k and immediately did a transmission drain and fill with Mercon V. I also replaced the filter and put a new pan and drain plug on it. Anyways, whenever I come to an abrupt stop or have to stop in an emergency situation, my Explorer goes “limp” and wont move when I take my foot off the brake unless I rev it up. When I do this it bangs into gear hard as if I was neutral slamming it—though I never took it out if drive in the first place! The truck is absolutely flawless otherwise and the transmission fluid was fairly clean (dark red color) when I replaced it. I assume it was the original fluid given the mileage. Again, this only happens after I stop hard. Any help would be appreciated!
Did it bang before the fluid change

Did it throw codes after going into limp mode? I had similar issue after a near accident, and my transmission electrical system threw ALOT of codes. or if you’ve found the issue since can you post that too?
thanks!

Back