diesel conversion

justjoshinya

Reaction score
City, State
pismo beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport
I am in the process of converting my explorer to a diesel engine
What I need is a depth measurement from the bellhousing flange on the block to the spot where the torq converter bolds on the flywheel of a 4.0 1995 so I know how thick to make my adapter

Thanks for any information

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I guess nobody here has ever pulled a motor or don't answer new people

i think its somthing they want you to search for first, most people dont measure things like that.

Hey with a name like that: justjoshinya

Who would take you seriously???

Aloha, Mark

Well I guess nobody here has ever pulled a motor or don't answer new people

That's not the case at all. In fact, you'll find that, by far, everyone on here is happy and willing to help out in any way they can. Unfortunately for you, the vast majority of our engines are currently in-use in our vehicles. Most of us don't have the specific engine you're asking about sitting in our garage, although I'm quite sure that if someone here did, they'd be happy to run out and take a measurement for you.

Unfortunately, I'd be surprised if anyone on here would be able to find that measurement in a spec book, let alone have the info handy. My best suggestion would be to call an engine remanufacturer (Jasper comes to mind) as they may have more detailed information available on that specific engine. You've asked a very uncommon question, and although our collective knowledge on this board is vast, it's not unlimited.

If you do find an answer to your question somewhere, please post a follow-up here for future reference. You never know what little tidbit of trivia may be able to help someone else, and that's what we're all about here. :)

:wavey:

-Joe

Thanks for the replies I guess what I asked was a little odd. I have done several engine conversions on older cars and didnt think much of it.
I will update with how the conversion goes

Best regards, Josh

your swapping ina diesel and keeping the a4ld? Why bother with that and not use a better trans.

I have a 4r55e and am going to use the 4.0 computer to control it
Best regards, Josh

what diesel engine are you using?

There's definitely interest here for a diesel conversion. There are several threads around on the subject, but I don't know offhand of anyone that has actually tried to put one together.

Even with the number of people on this board, you don't always get an immediate response to threads, especially for something that specific. Sometimes it takes a few days.

Welcome to the site, and I know quite a few of us will be interested in seeing the results of your project.

Subscribing

I have a mercedes om617 5 cyl turbo diesel. It should have 250 hp when I am done
Best regards,Josh

Please update your 617 engine swap project.

Any Progress?

I have a mercedes om617 5 cyl turbo diesel. It should have 250 hp when I am done
Best regards,Josh
:scratch: Just wondering...how did this work out? With the rising cost of fuel, I would consider this conversion for my 4x4 Explorer, if it's feasible and run it on WVO/Diesel. At an average of approx. 65 cents a gallon for WVO fuel comparing that to today's gas prices it would be like getting a 100+ mpg in my 1991 Explorer, I would keep it forever :D:D:D!

I have also considered this. Some very early Bronco IIs and rangers had deisels, but I've never actually seen one. I believe the years are 83-85. If you can find factory parts for these, or one in a bone yard, it may help with the conversion, at least on the chassis side. I thought of trying something similar, but settled for trying a V8 swap instead.

To kind of answer your question, Place a straight edge across the bell housing of the tranny (where the engine bolts to it) and with the torque converter properly installed, measure the distance from the straight edge to the bottom of a stud (where the flex plate would seat against it). If I understand your question correctly, this should give you the correct measurement.

Good luck,

Ziggy

those 80's diesels were 2.slow's (2.2 max, no turbo?) youch. I heard they were durable tho, and pretty reliable. as fast as a canoe with paddles though

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what about a complete engine and drivetrain swap from mitsubishi suv, like a 4m40, which also has a left side drop from its transfer case.

Back