• Register Today It's free!

Diesel in an Explorer

tieoneon

Reaction score
City, State
Poland, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Has anyone ever installed a diesel in an Explorer. I have a 2000 XLT with the 4.0L V-6. I'm thinking of one of the newer Powerstroke Diesels Ford is putting into pickups. Would one of these mate up to the exsisting trans? What about cooling and motor mounts? What deisel motor would work? New to the board. Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tieoneon said:
Has anyone ever installed a diesel in an Explorer. I have a 2000 XLT with the 4.0L V-6. I'm thinking of one of the newer Powerstroke Diesels Ford is putting into pickups. Would one of these mate up to the exsisting trans? What about cooling and motor mounts? What deisel motor would work? New to the board. Thanks for your help.
Anything can be done with enough time & money. There would be a lot of obsticles that would need to be overcome for this to be done:

1) Existing tranny would NEVER survive ... diesel engines are all about low end torque and the 5R55E would crap it's pants if it saw that much torque ;)

2) Engine/OBD-II Management & wiring harnesses ... that right there could keep you busy for months. No spark plugs = no ignition timing, etc., etc., etc.

3) I'm sure custom mounts would be needed.

You would be better off getting an Expidition, which is based off the F-line ;)

As sweet as that would be i doubt it would ever fit. You'd have to do SO much beefing up of the frame and not to mention the suspension. Unless you are Bill Gates, then i wouldn't try it! lol

But if you do, be sure and posts lots of pics for us :p

Ford makes a diesel Ranger overseas, there is no reason why it cannot go in an Explorer.
However you are talking about a totally different drivetrain from radiator to fuel pump.

He was talking PSD.

I know and anything is possible...........
But not everything is practicle

There is a PowerStroke in a 4cyl version that bolts up to the M5OD. I about dropped a nut and was about to do it when he told me the price......$7k for the motor! I have to look for the link but it's a dealer on the east coast that imports the motors from South Africa where they are built. I'm trying to think of the numbers, but I believe the little motor that could producted around 200hp and 400 lb-ft of torque. Likely to expect around 40 mpg all the while of crawling like a mother.

i think the engine would fit... but youd have a hell of a time getting the tranny to fit without some serious lifting... that and the extreme exhaust gas temperature of the exhaust and turbo would be a problem.....i think if you could get it in there a 2 gen chassis would take the extra torque though... we have a pretty tough rearend granted you would need hd driveshafts and a axle truss.... I think it could be done and dont think no ones ever thought of it.... If you could get it nailed down though that sucker would fly.... fords is rumored to have a smaller diesel in the works for its cars and small trucks though... i personally cant wait to see it.... hopefully in some kind of bronco II spinoff

Over here in Iraq we have new Rangers and they have turbo diesels, i've not been in one though.

Bring one back so we can disect it :)
Ford should jump ahead of the game and put that TD in the explorer, escape, and Ranger here in the states, heck throw it in the Focus and the new Minivan too...
Volkswagen style!

Jeep beat us and put it in the 05 Liberty

Ford is already in discussions of putting the smaller powerstrokes in the F150s (6cyl version) and trickling down the lines.

Josh, please bring one back! Europe has had the diesel Toyota's and Rangers for years. I loved them when I was in Bosnia. One of the guys had a Tocoma with a 4cyl turbo diesel, 4x4, 5 speed, double cab, and solid axles (full foaters too!). This all came from the factory. The Ranger's were about the same except with IFS. I about busted a nut trying to figure out how to get one back into the states. And this was back in '97.

NOTAJP said:
Josh, please bring one back!

Tell me how and i'll do it!

Actually, my guard unit has 2 C130s at an air base in Kuwait, i should just throw it on one of them, lol!

Hey man, it's easy! Just get all the emissions aproved, US safety glass installed, pay all the import taxes and shipping, oh and install airbags and side impact beams. :rolleyes:

Edit: Check with AAFES as they might be able to loan the money for the title and have it shipped to the nearest base. You can also buy Harley's at damn near cost, without taxes and shipping as well. I've got lots more secrets I can PM you about military purchases. ;)

Just as soon as you dump the money into my paypal account :p

Isn't there some sort of 'special vehicle' exception that would allow you to bring it back as long as you stated that it was for 'show' purposes only (non-road use)? I mean we really don't care if you drive it, we just want the drivetrain, right? So, I'd think you'd be allowed to bring it over and then swap the drivetrain into a donor Explorer. That would solve the safety glass, air bags and impact beam issues. Emissions would be another issue..........

NOTAJP-
If you find please forward on. This sounds interesting. Thanks.

Show or off road purposes only.....

or yank the drivetrain, fuel and cooling systems and bring those back, screw the frame and body :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410Fortune said:
Show or off road purposes only.....

Perfect!

Wonder i would go about buying something like this? Not that i'm going to but ya know. I know i could in Iraq, but i'm sure i could in Kuwait.

Back