Different Hood Lift Support Struts for 2-Doors?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Different Hood Lift Support Struts for 2-Doors??

BonesDT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
Monroe lists a distinct part number (901644) for the Sport (2-Door). For all others (Eddie Bauer, XL, XLS & XLT) its 901340.

4-Door 901340 Stats:
Upper Mounting Code E
Lower Mounting Code E
Compressed Length 7.875"
Extended Length 9.875"
Travel Length 2.000"

2-Door 901644 Stats:
Upper Mounting Code E
Lower Mounting Code E
Compressed Length 7.320"
Extended Length 9.800"
Travel Length 2.480"

Sachs (SG404015), Strongarm/Rhinopac/World Car (4026) & LMCTruck (50-9538) have the same part number for all incl the Sport.

Anyone know what the deal is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just picked up Strong arms for my Sport and the significant others Eddie both 98 same code on all listed

To conclude, here was Monroe's response to my inquiry:

the lift supports we list for the sports and Eddie Bauer will be pretty much the same, that's why other companies just list one, on this will be a difference on the pound rating.

Still doesn't make any sense. Why would the pound rating be different for the 2-door and 4-door? They use the same hoods.

Anyway, I ordered Strongarm because I couldn't figure this out.

Maybe the Eddie B has more sound insulation
underneath the hood, to make it heavier?

He called it an Eddie Bauer in his response but the EB part number is also for all 4-door trims (see my 1st post). Its the 2-door Sport part number that is unique. Yes, I obsessively stress about little things like this.

Back