• Register Today It's free!

Differential swap

stonerhino

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer v6 XLT
Looking to rebuild my D4 8.8 with LSD, however the only thing I can find an abundance of is 3.73's without Limited Slip.

I went on LKQ's used parts store and all they have listed are ones with "Roll Stabilizer Control". I'm assuming these were yanked off of the V8's? I can still use these so long as I get the 3.73?

Reason why I'm looking swap and rebuild is I have this horrid moan (30-50Hz) at 52mph. It goes away until 60mph and then the thing shakes up a storm. Wheel bearings replaced (all four although I suspect one is defective).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I replaced the rear diff in my 2003 explorer with a 3.73 LS without roll control from LKQ. The replacement was out of a 2004 Mountaineer with 139K miles. I drove a hour to pick it up near York, Pa to save on shipping and it cost me $220 final after I dropped off the old one for the core charge refund. If you don't see the one you want listed on their site, call them, they can check their regional sites. The replacement I got was shipped from their Indiana warehouse to Pennsylvania warehouse at no extra charge. You also could look at "car-part.com" and do a search for a match in an area near you. If you want to spend some more, you can get a rebuilt one from Car & Truck Parts | Replacement Transmissions | Zumbrota Drivetrain The 3.73 with posi RAA440-1384D is $1036 plus $400 core charge.

If you get a used one from LKQ or else where, plan on replacing the axle seals on the differential! The one I got, the seals were the old style and were nicked up. They are easy to replace before you install the differential.

I replaced the rear diff in my 2003 explorer with a 3.73 LS without roll control from LKQ. The replacement was out of a 2004 Mountaineer with 139K miles. I drove a hour to pick it up near York, Pa to save on shipping and it cost me $220 final after I dropped off the old one for the core charge refund. If you don't see the one you want listed on their site, call them, they can check their regional sites. The replacement I got was shipped from their Indiana warehouse to Pennsylvania warehouse at no extra charge. You also could look at "car-part.com" and do a search for a match in an area near you. If you want to spend some more, you can get a rebuilt one from Car & Truck Parts | Replacement Transmissions | Zumbrota Drivetrain The 3.73 with posi RAA440-1384D is $1036 plus $400 core charge.

If you get a used one from LKQ or else where, plan on replacing the axle seals on the differential! The one I got, the seals were the old style and were nicked up. They are easy to replace before you install the differential.

Thanks! LKQ does not have any with LS, so this is why I was asking if I could use the RSC types.

I am no stranger to swapping those silly seals.

So apparently buying through local store is bad. 500$ markup.... OUCH. Thanks for the info. I think I'll give zumbrota a call.

For that kind of markup I’d just get an open and add lunchbox or something like a Powertrax.

Looks like used Limited Slip is in short supply... :(

Might just have to talk to the one of the local off-road shops. That or carry it half-way across the state to get it rebuilt.

If I have to, I will rebuild my self. Time and weather is my current enemy. I dont get sick/vacation leave.

I am not familiar with the "roll stabilizer control", but if the differential has the same differential mounted ABS sensor, then It will probably work. If you do a search on "car-part.com" for 2004 Ford explorer "Carrier" and select "Rear Axle, (4 Dr), exc. Sport Trac; differential mounted ABS sensor, 3.73 ratio, limited slip differential" in the "Southeast" region you will find a lot of used ones. Be sure to look for a 2004. The 2002 and 2003 are interchangeable, but those years had some bad differentials, so when looking at used, definitely look at the 2004, that year had far fewer lemons.

I am not familiar with the "roll stabilizer control", but if the differential has the same differential mounted ABS sensor, then It will probably work. If you do a search on "car-part.com" for 2004 Ford explorer "Carrier" and select "Rear Axle, (4 Dr), exc. Sport Trac; differential mounted ABS sensor, 3.73 ratio, limited slip differential" in the "Southeast" region you will find a lot of used ones. Be sure to look for a 2004. The 2002 and 2003 are interchangeable, but those years had some bad differentials, so when looking at used, definitely look at the 2004, that year had far fewer lemons.

Thank you again. Will check them out as well. I'm not as spirited as other drivers and I drove an 89 mustang with a burned out LS. Im used to the one-wheel-peel club so the loss of the LS is not insane critical.

Just an update:

I finally got the rear diff rebuilt by a local shop. They did a great job and this got rid of the gear whine at 25-35mph.

Since the growl is still present, they offered to look into the bearing problem to see which one it was. I'm so over this :(

Replacing bearing is normal maintenance. I've already done passenger rear and driver front at 93K.

Replacing bearing is normal maintenance. I've already done passenger rear and driver front at 93K.
I dont mind replacing the wheel bearings if I could get more than 20k/2 years out of the fronts.

I put a rear from an 02 in my 05. Changed the seals, and took the cover plate off my old one to cover the ABS sensor hole. Works perfectly and no more howling. However, one of the new seals is leaking, so I'm thinking that the axle may be bad.

I dont mind replacing the wheel bearings if I could get more than 20k/2 years out of the fronts.
For the bearing:

Timken, SKF (NAPA Premium), Motocraft all come from the same factory. First USA, then Canada, then Korea, and now India for the rear bearings.

For the fronts they are from Mexico.

Avoid MOOG! Chinese junk. I heavily research where items are from. And I'm sorry, I ain't paying $190 for Chinese junk when I can pay another $20 for other than China.

Not all MOOG is Chinese. I bought MOOG bearings for my Escape and they were branded SKF. Oddly enough I was doing field service work for SKF at the time and the employees all agreed they wouldn’t use them.

Back