• Register Today It's free!

Differentials

Gse Brent

Reaction score
City, State
Small Wonder
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Next big project of mine is all in gearing. Going to 4.56s and rear locker as well as rebuilding front and rear diffs but also thinking about adding some new diff covers. The rear should be a piece of cake swapping out the cover wise but the front you can barely see and i was wondering could you even fit an aftermarket cover in there? It looks super tight as it is and i know alot of these aftermarket covers are alot bigger may just have to stick with the rear cover. Does anyone have an aftermarket front diff cover on there dana 35? This solid axle brand is what i'm leaning towards.

Diff-8_8_large.jpg

Diff-dana_35_large.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's really no need for an aftermarket cover if it's not exposed (as in the front cross member is sitting in front of it). I see no advantage other than perhaps larger volume but that's offset by the fact that heat transfers slower through the thicker material of the cover. So I'd say save the money for something else.

That cover will not clear.

Also, as I understand it, the solid cover WILL NOT clear 456 gearing. I believe 88comingup found this out the hard way.

I'd recommend talking to him to see what he did about it.

You have to drop the front diff to remove the diff cover. If you ever plan on doing a Solid Axle Swap than don't waste your money on regearing it yet.

Also, as I understand it, the solid cover WILL NOT clear 456 gearing. I believe 88comingup found this out the hard way.
I'm intrigued by this because the ring gear diam remains constant while the pinion changes.

That cover will not clear.

I'd recommend talking to him to see what he did about it.

Will the stock covers take 4.56s alright?

I'm intrigued by this because the ring gear diam remains constant while the pinion changes.

Ok, I sent 88comingup a message and we will have to wait for him to chime in here. I do know he sent me a message, kinda upset about the solid cover not clearing his 8.8 456 gears.

He said it would need a 1/4" spacer.

We should wait for his reply.

What if i just did the gearing, the rear locker and a aftermarket cover for the rear, would that all work?

It would work great.
Have you seen the riddler cover? It is very stout, and the design looks like it will roll over obstacles cleaner. I also like the recessed bolts.

http://www.riddlermfg.com/products/11-ford-88-rear-differential

Ford8_8RearDifferential.png

of course, this being an internet forum, I have to show off this Riddler cover I powdercoated

009-1.jpg

Yea thats a nice looking cover. I picked the solid brand cuz i wanted to powdercoat the cover lime green with solid in black writing.

Nice Diff cover Turdle, I really like how the bolts are recessed. The powdercoat really smooths it out.

I thought you needed the matching gears in the front as the rear. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yea thats a nice looking cover. I picked the solid brand cuz i wanted to powdercoat the cover lime green with solid in black writing.

Toxic waste green is a great color.

as of yet, i have still not received a responce from Solid alxe covers as why the cover doesn't fit or a reply from them in over a week, besides asking me what the axle came out of here is a copy of all the e-mails with them as of sunday and still no reply from Solid and this is after i called them and left a voice mail and have not received a call back yet :mad::mad::mad:

Guess i'll have to make a shim/ spacer to get the cover to clear my ring gear, so buyer beware of the solid covers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your not going to responde to my last e-mail, Then please send me a return order number to send it back. That way i can order a cover from another company like riddler, Ruff stuff,Blue torch fabb
Thank you, Steven Reed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
94 Ford ranger 8.8 with 4.56 gears and a lock-rite locker

To: aahomerepair@sbcglobal.net
Sent: Mon, January 30, 2012 9:08:42 AM
Subject: RE: Website Contact Form

What is the rear axle out of?

Matt

SpynTec Industries LLC.

Phone: 234-759-3105

Fax: 234-759-3306

www.solidaxle.com

www.spyntec.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2012 1:52 PM
To: matt@solidaxle.com
Subject: Website Contact Form

FNAME:

LNAME:

EMAIL:

PHONE:
417-315-0137

attn:
info@solidaxle.com

countrycode:
US

COMMENTS:
I just bought a Ford 8.8 Differential Cover from your company and went out to install it this afternoon and it won't clear my ring gear. It's about at least an 1/8 inch from being able to bolt down my sales no. # is bought on 01/16/2012

image.x:

Thanks for chiming in 88comingup!

Nice Diff cover Turdle, I really like how the bolts are recessed. The powdercoat really smooths it out.

I though you needed the matching gears in the front as the rear. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure you do but either way i want to do 4.56 front and rear and just a rear aftermarket cover.

So will the stock covers work for 4.56 gearing? Or what aftermarket rear cover will clear for 4.56?

Does anyone on here have an aftermarket rear diff cvr on their explorer with 4.56 gearing?

Dohp--KOH had everyone in a bind--

Email from solid--

"I just got back from a desert race. The only axles that it seems not to fit are the early Ranger / Crown Vic 8.8’s."

Matt

SpynTec Industries LLC.
Phone: 234-759-3105
Fax: 234-759-3306

www.solidaxle.com
www.spyntec.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So does that mean the solid axle cover will fit the ford 8.8 on the sport trac?

Back