Do these trucks have a crank filter/screen under the PCV? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do these trucks have a crank filter/screen under the PCV?

beach

Reaction score
City, State
south florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
Coyote F150
Ok so on the 5.0 Stangs, they have the pcv and grommet like us (obviously). However they also have a crank case filter/screen inside also that can be pulled out. On Stangs, this can actually get clogged up and has to be cleaned or replaced or you can develop oil leaks through gaskets etc. However, cannot find a single thing about this on our trucks. Found one post from another 5.0 Explorer owner on Corral asking the same question with no help. Apparently some Explorers have this and some don't (what the?!?), very little on this site except some post about earlier 2nd Gens but of no help. I have a leak I'm trying to track and not sure if it was from pcv or vavle gasket or main etc

So do we have a filter/screen or not? Specifically on the 5.0. On other Ford 5.0 engines it's PCV - > Grommet - > filter/screen.

Looks like this
lrs-6631a_3783.jpg

lp-1991-mustang-5-0-pcv-valve-pics-inside-img_0237.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on my 96 and 97 v8 i didnt have this, but i have thought of putting on in place to see if it helps "slow" or keeps the oil vapor form going into my intake. i have installed a pcv catch can in-line with my pcv valve and i usually empty twice before an oil change. i change my oil every 5000km

on my 96 and 97 v8 i didnt have this, but i have thought of putting on in place to see if it helps "slow" or keeps the oil vapor form going into my intake. i have installed a pcv catch can in-line with my pcv valve and i usually empty twice before an oil change. i change my oil every 5000km
see that's weird, I found some stuff that early 2nd Gen V8s have it, but Ford did something where 99-01 5.0s don't have it. Gets even odder that there are 96-98 owners that had it, and others (Like you) didn't. What the fudge... :scratch:

On the 5.0 Stang, it's quite common to have leaks from even the valve gasket as a result of the screen/filter getting dirty and clogged. You can pull it out with needle nose or bent clothes hanger, however I checked with a mirror and don't see or feel squat on my truck.

I just cleaned up with brake cleaner again under, and left engine running as flushing again. And don't see any oil residue. My cat was smoking when hot burning off oil residue and I can only think it was the valve gasket or pcv (and hoping it was the pcv), I had already replaced the pcv about a month ago but haven't driven the truck. So I'm hoping it was left over residue burning off from the old pcv and grommet that was bad. Since it can drip at that same area as the gasket.

maybe ford was just using old stock. I know my 97 is an early made model, but still came with gtp heads, external egr and digi trans sensor, witch i have read came with the 97.5 and up explorers. What cat is it leaking on? could possibly be rear main, or maybe some trans fluid in the bellhousing

Back