Does anyone have a MFT system that works? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone have a MFT system that works?

Reaction score
City, State
Hixson, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT 4WD
I have had so many issues with the MFT system in my Explorer I am at my wits end.

It has been to the dealer almost as much as I have had it! It has been in 3 times and they cannot fix it.

They replaced the APIM, installed version 2.8.

Still the navigation system will not load consistently, the radio will not come on all of the time.

How can Ford still sell these? How can there not be a huge uproar over this as many problems as there seems to be out there.

This was the first Ford I ever bought and it will be the last one I ever buy.

I am just curious if anyone has a MFT system that actually works as designed, where you do not have to reset anything or put up with functions not working properly.

It is incredible this made it into production.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had so many issues with the MFT system in my Explorer I am at my wits end.

It has been to the dealer almost as much as I have had it! It has been in 3 times and they cannot fix it.

Still the navigation system will not load consistently, the radio will not come on all of the time.

How can Ford still sell these? How can there not be a huge uproar over this as many problems as there seems to be out there.

I am just curious if anyone has a MFT system that actually works as designed, where you do not have to reset anything or put up with functions not working properly.

I have one that works great thus far. ( hope I didn't jinx myself) Don't be so quick to pass off Ford because of a "fun" device as the MFT ( I still remember having problems with a factory 8 track player in my Maverick and that was the only "fun" device for the times) I'd take that over a drivetrain or motor issue anyday. I can totally understand the frustrations out there when something doesn't work like it should, but as time goes on and more issues are submitted to Ford, eventually the solution will be found.

Aside from the occasional annoying glitch mine works pretty well. No nav problems,voice control works so-so, radio works fine, and my music plays well.

Your problems sound fairly severe. I would contact (via. private message) Cory - he's a Ford customer rep and his username is FordCustSrvc and he watches these boards and provides answers and assistance and has helped many members with issues. Cory can escalate your case to people at Ford who may be able to help you in ways a dealer might not be able to.

I don't have the navigation just the turn by turn and the iphone sync destinations app. It is great. Got me through some tough 1 way streets in newport beach california no problem at all.

keep your chin up. It will get better. When you roll out to 100's of thousands of different user types there will always be issues.

My MFT has been working very well. No hangups or glitches since I went to 2.7. Nav hasn't given me any problems at all.

My MFT works perfect not one glitch in over 2800 km. It booths up in less than 2 seconds and always always works. This is how I operate my MFT, first thing when I park my Ex I always shut everything off. ( radio and climate ). When I do get back in, I put the key to position 3 (on), let the the vehicle do it's system checks, while that's happening I put my seat belt on 2-3 seconds, then I start the vehicle, by the time the engine is started my MFT is operational, I turn climate and radio on. All this takes about five seconds and my wife does the same thing and we never have had an issue with our MFT or our EX what-so-ever. The MFT is a computer if you start up a computer and ask it to print, send e-mails and all other things that it can do while it is booting up well it will freeze on you. Treat the MFT like a computer I'm sure it will help out. Hope this helps everyone that is having problems.

V 2.7 for me; works but can be slow at times. Occasionally it does have a freeze up glitch, but has always comes back by going backward or trying something else.

I agree, nav is slow. My $100 garmin did all I wanted and faster.

voice commands are very buggy; I've just about given up on it except for a few that I can count on working.

It's a system with a lot of potential, but they really need to improve it for CURRENT owners; it's lack of responsiveness is unacceptable for the cost of the vehicle.

I have Rev. 2.4 and have had no problems other then having to reset the clock several times. ( I do not have Nav.) Mechanics of vehicle, no problem, fit and finish, good. I guess I am lucky based on what I am reading hear. Electronically this is a new for Ford, and there will be problems, Just like at work, new rev updates every 6 months on the same product line! I will give this advice based on my usage, the system does not like fast changes. ( it messes with the clock, radio, and phone.) go slow.

My MFT works perfect not one glitch in over 2800 km. It booths up in less than 2 seconds and always always works. This is how I operate my MFT, first thing when I park my Ex I always shut everything off. ( radio and climate ). When I do get back in, I put the key to position 3 (on), let the the vehicle do it's system checks, while that's happening I put my seat belt on 2-3 seconds, then I start the vehicle, by the time the engine is started my MFT is operational, I turn climate and radio on. All this takes about five seconds and my wife does the same thing and we never have had an issue with our MFT or our EX what-so-ever. The MFT is a computer if you start up a computer and ask it to print, send e-mails and all other things that it can do while it is booting up well it will freeze on you. Treat the MFT like a computer I'm sure it will help out. Hope this helps everyone that is having problems.

I see you live in Canada. I live in Minnesota. Bet you can't wait to see how the MFT works in sub-zero weather. That's when the issues will definitly come out if there is any. All of us that live in cold climates know all to well how electronics do NOT like to work right away until things warm up. Should be intresting when winter comes around.

Working fine here as well. The UI definitely needs some work, but I am not experiencing any of the crashes and resets, stuff not working, and other issues that other folks seem to have. Even the navigation locations are right on. Using factory loaded 2.8 on a 4/30 built Explorer.

V2.4 haven't really had many issuses, updated the Sirius voice other day and now works fine...didn't want factory nav as the gamins always work better and faster than oe stuff at a tenth the cost!

MFT is more than a FUN device. When it is 98 degrees and the climate controls do not work for your children in the back, it is no longer just a "fun" device.

My issues do not just occur at startup. They happen at random times. I can be driving and the nav system just stops working.

Also, I have had instances where the radio WILL NOT TURN OFF! I can turn off the vehicle get out and lock the doors and the radio stays on. You can not turn it off even if you open the doors and press the power button.

How is that caused by not allowing it to start up properly?

When the screen does not even come on and stays blank, how is that caused by not allowing it to start properly?

When you start the vehicle and all of the climate controls are missing after everything has time to load, how is that caused by not allowing it to start properly?

When the Sirius travel link weather radar crashes the nav system, how is that caused by not allowing it to start properly?

Have MFT with NAV....zero problems. Occasional non connect to phone and a little slow at times. Wish it were more responsive but all works.

v2.8

Mine locked up once and required a fuse 29 reset.

One thing I have noticed is that even though it seems to be up and running pretty quickly, it takes a good minute to really come online. It seems to buffer commands given before it is ready to really do work.

I've quit trying to voice command for about 2 minutes after getting into the car so my phone is ready, voice radio commands are ready, etc.

MFT is unacceptable and the Nav is a joke.

It does not work as it should. Period. It locks up. Shuts down. Refuses inputs. Deletes entries. Takes entirely too long to load, if it even loads at all. The list is endless and factual.

Anyone that thinks it's "ok and Ford will work the bugs out, yea Ford" obviously isn't using this as it's intended and only sees this as a novelty. It's the source of major frustration for a LOT of people. People like me, who have OF COURSE READ THE MANUAL AND UNDERSTAND HOW TO USE IT. It's not the operator. It's the system, and it is absolute crap.

There are far too many problems with this. Ford needs to issue a serious software update ASAP to fix this. If that doesn't correct it, there will be a fully loaded black on black 4WD being returned From me and I will demand every penny back. The time I've lost to this in only two weeks of ownership is astonishing. I will go from a lifelong Ford loyalist to someone shopping for another brand for the first time in about 15 cars. Releasing this beta junk for this kind of money should not be tolerated or rewarded and I'm not even addressing the mechanical flaws that are also annoying and rampant.

I hate this annoying POS and I gaurantee that voicing my opinion here is going to warn others and cost Ford some sales. As it should.

Ford needs to correct this immediately. This is completely unacceptable as it sits now.

It's all too bad, because if it all worked as intended, this would be a great car. It quite clearly does not and I would urge anyone considering a purchase to hold off and wait to see positive feedback that Ford has fixed these systems and made them actually work before giving them your money.

Or.. Order a stripped down version with NO MFT or NAV, save all that extra money, live with the mechanical flaws, and install an aftermarket head unit like what Pioneer offers to have a useful Nav system that will actually work as intended, start up in a reasonable amount of time and sound a lot better, too. I really wish this is what I had done. Ford is not ready to be putting this crap tech in it's vehicles. It simply does not work.

I had a particularly crazy experience with MFT this AM. I got in the car to head to work and Sirius started playing, because that's what I was listening to when I shut off the vehicle last night. I noticed that my iPhone was detected within only a few seconds. I put the car in reverse and the backup camera came on and helped guide me down. I put the car in drive and the MFT dispaly switched back to the Entertainment screen. I noticed that my iPhone had been picked up as a BT streaming device, so I tentatively touched the input and...weird...Buzz Out Loud started up just where I'd left off.

What's going on here?

I considered stopping while I was ahead, but tempted fate by touching the USB Input, and Dizzy Gillespie, "Live at the Village Vanguard" came from the speakers. Dare I peek at the display...what's that? Album Art? Can't be! Oh my.

Stunned as I was, I considered stepping away from the table, but then I thought...let it ride. I pressed the voice activation button on the wheel and said. "Browse artist, Warren Zevon." The sync lady said back, "Browsing artist Warren Zevon," (well actually she pronounced it ze-VON, as if Warren was some mamby pamby French dilletante or something, but OK) and presented me with a list of Warren Zevon albums from which to choose. I was so overjoyed by all of this that I navigated to "Excitable Boy" because that's what I felt like. An excitable boy. I listened to the tunes while Warren stared back at me from the mysteriously-correct album cover displayed on the MFT touchscreen.

I'm afraid to get back in the car after work. No way this all happens again. :p:

In all seriousness, I've had irritating MFT issues, but fortunately mine have been of the annoying nature as opposed to the outright failure nature. I don't have Nav, so that may make a difference. In my case I don't think it's anything a decent software update couldn't address. The question is, will there ever be one of those?

Hi guys,

It must be difficult to enjoy your new vehicle when you have issues, and jrmexplorer is correct in recommending that you send me the details via private message. If you haven’t already done so, please include your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name so I can escalate your concerns.

Cory

I have an LTD built on 3/15, delivered on 5/02. As of this morning I have 2,567 miles on my truck. The MFT has not given one problem as those described on this thread. I have navigation, and have the HTC Thunderbolt droid phone. Thus far the system has performed wonderfully wether I use voice or touch inputs. We went on a trip to Niagra Falls from CT. and I could not be more pleased with all the bells and whistles on this automobile. My vehicle was delivered with Sync 2.7 and had 2.8 installed before I took delivery. I am really satisfied with the performance of all systems so far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Again, no offense, but you used it once on one trip and thought it was great. If I had the duration of one single long trip to program it and let it find its way, it would seem fine as well. If you use it constantly all day long with multiple destinations, as many of us do, it does not deliver. It cannot keep up. The rebooting and shutting down and deleted destinations, etc. make it basically useless for robust use. If you see it as a nice novelty for the occasional trip, then you will likely enjoy it. It's not up to par for vigorous use, as it really should be. We're totally different users.

Back