Does my '02 Explorer have this connector? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does my '02 Explorer have this connector?

rick72_us

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I have an '02 Explorer with a factory installed tow package, but it is a class II hitch with a 1 1/4" receiver and a flat 4 trailer connection. I want to replace the flat 4 connector with a combination 7 blade round connector and flat 4 connector and also add an electronic brake control. I've read that I'm supposed to be able to plug one of these replacement connectors directly into the factory installed round Delphi connector and not have to do any splicing, but I can't find this Delphi connector under my vehicle. The existing flat 4 connector does not plug into a round Delphi connector, but has kind of a rectangular connector up in the rear bumper on the passenger side.

Can anybody tell me if my vehicle has a round Delphi connector and where I should expect to find it? Your help would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't mistake having a tow package with having a trailer hitch. The fact that your hitch receiver is only the inch and a quarter size and your light connector is the flat four pin means you do not have a true "tow package" A true tow package would include the 2" receiver and the 3:73 gear set in your rear end. most often this also comes with the 4.6 liter V-8 as well.

Thanks JCR. That's what I suspected.

The connector you are looking for is behind the bumper under the passenger side taillight. The brake controller connector is behind the glovebox.

Look at the lower right of this picture for the tow package harness. Mine is an '05 but I'm pretty sure all 02-05 have this connector regardless of tow package.

1122081416.jpg

You're right Brent. That is where (in bumper under tail light) my current flat 4 connector runs. My dilemma is that the replacement connector (7 blade round + flat 4) I'd like to buy has a round Delphi connector and my current flat 4 connector has a rectangular connector with rounded corners. It looks like the one in your picture near the rear lift gate latch.

When you say "lower right of this picture for the tow package harness.", are you talking about the harness dangling below the right side of the hitch or the harness right under where the tail light assembly goes?

Thanks for your help!

When you say "lower right of this picture for the tow package harness.", are you talking about the harness dangling below the right side of the hitch or the harness right under where the tail light assembly goes?

Thanks for your help!

I guess both. The wires dangling in the picture are the wires from the factory flat 4 connector in the class II hitch. They would be connected to the harness behind the bumper behind the taillight as you described. I installed a junkyard class III that had the factory 7-way round that hooked right up to the harness behind the taillight. That harness has all the wires you'll need for the 7-way/flat 4 connector. Unfortunately I'm not aware of an adapter so you'll probably have to cut out the connector and splice in your own if you want to use a non-factory tow connector.

OK. That explains it. I guess I'll check at the junkyard to see if I can find the factory 7-way round connector. Thanks for your help.

iBrent, does the connection you got with your hitch from the junk yard look like this?
$(KGrHqZ,!lIFDw6(!7hgBRG6ht!3wQ~~60_57.jpg

iBrent, does the connection you got with your hitch from the junk yard look like this?

It's hard to tell from the photo how long that harness is but the connectors look right. If you look in my picture above, inside the trunk wrapped around the new class III hitch is the harness that came with it. It has the 7-way round on one side and the harness connector going to the spot behind the taillight on the other side. I'm not sure what that 3rd connector in your photo is for.

Thanks again iBrent! I think I found the harness you have with your class III hitch on ebay. That will make things very easy.

Back