doesnt seem to be enough fluid

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
looking to do the front/rear diffs. i got the specs as 3.5 pints (1.75 quarts) for the front and 5.3 pints (2.65 quarts) for the rear. is that enough?! ive read where you dont fill to the plug or it will leak out the breather vent and other places, so do i got by OEM specs or no? no mods have been done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've always poured half the quantity in than the friction modifier ( if you have a differtial that requires it) than put in enough fluid that i can feel the fluid is about 1/4" from the top.

friction modifier helps the clutch disks not wear out and for some other reasons. you need 4oz of it. it's mixed with the gear oil. your mobil is a good choice. just mix the 4 oz with it till it's just about to the top. can be purchased advanced auto, autozone and what not.i think it's something like $7. Is required by all traction lok equipped differentials when your replacing all of the fluid in the differential.

you fill it till oil just starts to coume out of the fill hole. thats the level the oil shoild be at to be full. the oil is lub an coolant of the bearings,to lil or to much an the bearings get hot.
traction loc rear only needs the friction modifier. if you have 1 wheel peel or 1 you move 1 back tire an the other move there other way,then you dont have a traction loc. both tire on the rear will move the same way with a traction loc.

just fill it till it runs out of the fill hole. but those amounts sound pretty accurate.

i agree just fill it until it starts to run out the fill hole. as far as the friction modifier. i only have to add it to my transmission when i flush it with dexron/ mercon 3 to make it high friction like mercon 5. the transfer case should just take mercon 5. the front diff should be 80w90 gear lube. the rear can be 80w90 gear lube or it can be 75w140 gear lube depending on what the diff. is in the rear.

yeah i filled it to OEM specs, which was coming out of the fill hole, all good now, fronts done, ill do the rear when i get a lil money saved up for a cover from JTSMITH... lol would get it faster i could sell these shocks and drums

maybe water or other moisture from the drain line?

The proper fill level is not at the hole with the vehicle level. The proper level is down below the hole at least 1/8" with the vehicle level.

The practice of filling until the fluid comes out the drain is typically done with the back end lifted up off the ground some. Lifting the back end while filling it keeps you from putting too much in. I mentioned this because it is easy to fill these due to the high clearance, without lifting the back end. Don't lift it very much, but have the tires off of the ground by about six inches.

That's good, filled to the hole like that should be fine. If you put too much in, the fluid will reach the outer bearings and seals more.

Back