Doing the U-joints, what do I need? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Doing the U-joints, what do I need?

ponkotsu

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Lincoln Aviator
One of the u-joints is a little sloppy, so I'm just going to do them all at one time. Already bought greasable Moogs and the Dorman CV repair kit.

Other than some Synthetic grease, can anyone think of anything else I might need that I don't expect? I like to have everything before I start a project.

Also, what about the CV joint grease. The kit comes with grease, but I wonder if its better to pack it with synthetic?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Paint marker, some emery cloth, and get some Ford slip joint grease, and do the slip joint service while you have them out. I assume you have CV boot pliers.

Might as well service thhe transfer case too, so pick up two quarts of Mercon.

Paint marker, some emery cloth, and get some Ford slip joint grease, and do the slip joint service while you have them out. I assume you have CV boot pliers.

Hadn't thought about the slip joint, but should definately do that also. I don't have CV boot pliars, but I have all kinds of others. Do I really need special pliars?

Hadn't thought about the slip joint, but should definately do that also. I don't have CV boot pliars, but I have all kinds of others. Do I really need special pliars?

Nope, I got mine off with regular pliers. Not a big deal. A Ford tech told me to replace the band with two tight wireties on each end pointed away from each other to balance out...Works fine for me

Mission accomplished. I was really surprised at how good the condition of the u-joints and CV were with 145k miles. Looked like they could have gone another 100k no problem. CV had barely any play at all, but since I already bought a new one I changed it out. Only 1 of the 3 u-joints had significant wear. I measured about .3mm wear on all 4 journals. Slip joint was in great shape still. Packed it with synthetic grease, so should be good for the life of the truck.

Does seem to ride a bit smoother at 65mph. I think what vibration is left is in the tires and front suspension.

Back