Don't take much for insurance to total new cars today | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Don't take much for insurance to total new cars today

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the value of new cars depreciates so much after the sale that its almost more profitable to total the vehicle after an accident.

An 09 camry with 500miles gets totaled for what seems like superfical damage? They are about 22K new. So you are saying that is around 20K in damage? Or do they depreciate even more :(

the value of new cars depreciates so much after the sale that its almost more profitable to total the vehicle after an accident.

And new cars are made to crumble when in an accident so accidents cause more damage than you'd think.

So with this said about the willingness of insurance agencys to total new rides sooner than in the past, it could make a nice chance to buy a newer ride for your trail truck! humm time to start watching the wrecking yards.

Good ac nice interior power everything and a sas with 37"s would be nice:D
Ide sure like the interior room of an x

here in B.C. when selling a vehicle that has had an insurance claim of more than $2000 you have to declare that to the purchaser before the paperwork can be done.
when i was at the http://www.auctionvancouver.com in november they had a red flag on the explorer i was interested in. 2 other guys bid on it but they walked away when i bid $300 and got it. it is in great shape for a '91 and 1 of only a few 4 doors with a 5 speed manual that i've seen locally. i don't care about previous insurance claims 'cause i'm not planning on selling it. when i'm done with it i'll likely cannibalize it for another rig then part the remainder out.
it is too bad more people didn't do this, 'cause that would mean a lot less vehicles in the bone yards getting crushed.

keep smili..............t

And new cars are made to crumble when in an accident so accidents cause more damage than you'd think.

I'm thinking there could be a liability issue too...if the crumple zones are damamged its probably impossible to restore exactly to factory safety spec. So any repair is substandard, and the insurance company probably don't want to take a risk like that for a few grand. I bet those repairs are north of 10 grand anyway if done in a shop at retail prices. The airbags alone are probably a grand each.

With the branded title at least people know they are getting a car that has substantial damage and may not be 100% of what it was.

Back