• Register Today It's free!

Door Ajar?

02explorer04

Reaction score
City, State
Marietta SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
02explorer xls 04spottrac
I was on my way to work this morning and my door ajar light was coming on. I pulled over and shut the door hard but it was still doing it. I pulled over again and checked all doors and the back hatch and nothing. Everytime I would hit a bump in the road or when I started off from a complete stop the dome light would come on, door ajar light would come on, doors would lock and it would make a dong sound. Is this a problem with explorers? Does anyone know how I can fix it? or do I need to take it to the ford dealership and have them look at it? Please help this is driving me nuts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most of the time The door Ajar light comes on from a sticky door latch. I've fixed hand fulls of cars and trucks that had this problem. Easiest fix in the world.... All you have to do if spray a lot of WD-40 on all for door latches since you don't know which one is the sticky one making the door ajar light come on. You really have to spray a lot in it, I mean to the point where it comes out of the bottom of your door. It fixes is everytime! I just fixed my freinds mother who has a 98 Windstar of the same problem. She had an appointment with a Ford dealer to have it checked out, but I was able to fix it just by WD-40!

Please try this out, and come back and tell me if it worked for you too!

thanks for the info, I will try it when I get off work.

Had a "Door Ajar" warning as well as a "Remote Door Lock" that wasn't working, sprayed two full cans of WD-40 on latches hinges and moving parts on the Door Handles. This took care of the "Door Ajar" with no problem at all. The Door Lock started working intermittently, so I bit the bullet and went to the dealer. The part was 69.00 the labor was 70.00 and the real kicker was the 50.00 fee to tell me what was wrong after I told them.........but it's fixed, and I guess that was the part that had to happen. Bottom line try the WD-40 and if that doesn't fix it you'll need the actuator replaced.......find a good shade tree mechanic and forget the dealer!!!!!!!!!! ........"pear"

Sorry for not posting on my porblem for a few days. When I was on my way home the other nday I was having the problems, they stopped. Did not need the WD-40, but i bought some anyway and sprayed the doors. When I was leaving the Auto parts store the ABS light came on, but when I stopped and got gas, the light went off. Maybe it could be an electrical problem.

Back