Door Issues

slpdave

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir City, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hello All

I have searched Google and the forums so either I am missing something or it doesn't exist so here goes.

I am having door lock problems, I disconnected the lock tumbler several months ago because the linkage from the tumbler has a plastic piece that connects it to another linkage, the little pink plastic piece broke so I just disconnected it and let it go at that. now the interior handle will not unlock the door when you pull on it, it won't pull out at all if the door is locked. Also starting on monday of this week December 11 the door lock will not unlock the door most of the time. when I say door lock I mean selenoid. I use the keyless entry pad or fob or open another door and hit the unlock button to unlock the driver door.

The hatch doesn't lock everytime I lock the doors, sometimes it locks and sometimes it doesn't also if I hit the unlock button and hold it down the 4 entry doors unlock and stop. The hatch selenoid keeps cycling the unlock about once every 2-3 seconds until I let go of the unlock button.
there is my description, here is my question.

is there a rebuild kit with the linkages and connectors and a diagram for the interior of the drivers door anywhere? I am not afraid of trying to fix it myself but without good direction I will probably take it to a local body shop I trust.

also the handles work normally except for the interior handle not unlocking the door, and are tight. I don't see the spring that is suppossed to be inside the door right where the latch is located (does my 2000 xlt even have this spring?).

any direction or advice is appreciated in advance.

David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK it's possible nobody knows if there is anything like what I stated in the first post, thats O.K.

does anyone know if there is an "explorer body" forum somewhere?

I don't see the piece that is broken anywhere in any of those pictures. But I think that link may help me.

Thank you, I have always been impressed with people on this site, I try to help when I can.

I have almost finished inside of my 1999 doors. I have changed all of the locks, latches, inside handles, and three outside handles.

The key cylinders have short arms that attach them to a rod. That short arm is available separately. The lock actuators do wear out, they are all used each time a button is pressed. The inner door handles have internal plastic gears, plus springs. The gears often break, and the whole unit is cheap at Ford. Good luck,

Tis' The Season to be busy..Fa La La La La La La La La..I will probably try to tackle it this week before Christmas. I'll take lots of pictures for everyone to see what I did.

Thanks Again

im having door troubles as well. my cousin opened my extremely hard to open rear door and now it wont open from inside or outside. my hinge on my drivers door is sagging.

Back