• Register Today It's free!

Dorman 615-295 Intake Issues

Afrojoe1449

Reaction score
City, State
Ringgold, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XL 4WD
Just wanting to share my issues with a replacement lower intake manifold I had ordered for my 4.0 OHV. I ordered a Dorman 615295 intake to replace my factory Motorcraft one. I did this because I was going to have the engine apart for an intake gasket leak and wanted to fix my stripped thermostat holes while I was at it. However the casting in the intake runners was very rough for I went ahead and ported the intake to promote airflow. What I didn't anticipate was that my temperature sender would not thread into the new intake properly. I still haven't been able to finish the install because of this. I'm currently planning to buy a M16x1.5 tap and attempt to retap the female threads for the sensor. I just wanted to make a post and say buyer beware. I may have gotten a bad unit or overall quality/design might be off. Regardless this has turned a one day job into a headache and tool hunt. If I can't retap for the sensor I'll attempt to threadsert the thermostat housing holes i guess.

Dorman stuff is typically bottom of the barrel. Make sure to drill it to the appropriate size or the tap will just rip the material, or break.
What about studs? You can loctite them in so they are fairly permanent.

Studs for the thermostat housing on the factory intake? Because if it's do able then I'm very interested in that route. All the other threaded locations seem serviceable on the replacement intake aside from this one sensor.

Back