Dr. Jack | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dr. Jack

:usa: Hopefully I am starting this thread in the proper place. I am following the ideas of other members to keep a log so to speak of the 92 Explorer now know as Dr. Jack.
It all started a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, oops,wrong story.
A while back in the spring/summer time frame of 2009. I was asked by an EF member if I ever do any 4wheeling, I told him I had done a bit in Death Valley but not much, this is when he intoduced me to the EF family. We made plans for me to join him as a rider in the CCR09 at Ouray. We did a pre-run in Moab where I meet Bronco2guy, Amy, and Chad551. Then on to Ouray where I meet a lot of fine peeps in the EF family. I had such a blast that I decided to start a project, I have always liked off roading but all the groups I meet seemed to have a "better than thou" idea.
Giving myself two years for the project, I started keeping an eye on the forum and looking around for ideas, then the 92 Explorer of Dr. John "Jack" Lobdell popped up on Craig's list in New Mexico, by following the forum I became aware of the sale, and by contact with other members I came to learn that this was a special vehicle from a special member. Lady Luck smiled on me, as I was able to use my brother's trailer to go pick up the vehicle. Robert rode with me and am I glad he did, his help was great. Got the rig back home and am now beginning to go over it, will keep upates as I go

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Curls up in the Corner to take nap while waiting for said Photos :D :p:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

New sliders from made by Jamscal, top notch fab ! Note, there is nothing wrong with the sliders I have on the rig now, I just wanted another set.

IMG_0455.jpg

Will paint them this weekend, but installing will be a few weeks (manadory overtime at work, at least it's got a paycheck)

Radius arm bushings, wheel bearings, new calipers and pads (assuming you are just going to turn the rotors), oil change, new lights and what looks like u-joints for the rear driveshaft. Man you do have a workout in store for you,

Radius arm bushings, wheel bearings, new calipers and pads (assuming you are just going to turn the rotors), oil change, new lights and what looks like u-joints for the rear driveshaft. Man you do have a workout in store for you,

Oh yea, the rotors are gonna be relaced at the same time, just haven't got them yet, and still have to order the limiting straps. Want to do it all at once.

New sliders from made by Jamscal, top notch fab ! Note, there is nothing wrong with the sliders I have on the rig now, I just wanted another set.

IMG_0455.jpg

Will paint them this weekend, but installing will be a few weeks (manadory overtime at work, at least it's got a paycheck)

I was just checking to see if you have you mounted these. I contacted James and he said he made a set but was unsure of how they fit because he had not received an update. I ran across this page so I thought I would ask. Thanks

Only just saw you have these mate, bloody awesome!! (little bit late I know, but hell, it is the arse end of the world after all!!!)

Only just saw you have these mate, bloody awesome!! (little bit late I know, but hell, it is the arse end of the world after all!!!)

LOL Gregg!! They are finally going on next week , kinda at a standstill now for jobs now.

I was just checking to see if you have you mounted these. I contacted James and he said he made a set but was unsure of how they fit because he had not received an update. I ran across this page so I thought I would ask. Thanks

Sorry Ageman, I didn't see your post till after I reposted, will be installing them next week and then posting pics.

And another project started (with 6 or 7 still needing completion), got this swing out spare carrier, great price, Robert traded the tailgate from the parts bronco for it. :D

The hinges were locked up from age and rust etc, handy dandy cutting ox/act torch took care of that.

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

Once we figure how to mount it, clean it up, etc, think it will look good.

other projects for the week coming up

mount sliders first, had to make a trip to HD to get a 90* angle drill
rear brakes and shocks replaced, waiting for the shocks to arrive, luckily being shipped FedEx and not UPS. (into it again with UPS, like that is uncommon for me)
Front braking components
Ujoints on drive shaft
and a couple more I can't remember right now

Bloody busy week ahead mate. I have to agree with ups. Fair dinkum, sometimes I reckon they take it UPS the arse!

I bet that made it interesting! :D

Instead of buying a 90* angle drill why don't you just unscrew the steering linkage and take the body bolts off one side then lift it so it gives you enough room to put on your sliders. Then put the body bolts back on and then do the other side just the same. It would save some funds. Unless you want a new toy (90*drill)

...OR....just drill thru the frame from the backside with a long enough bit with a normal drill.

The bolts for the sliders are going all the way thru the frame anyways.....;)

Back