• Register Today It's free!

Draining oil in '97 SOHC

allen820

Reaction score
City, State
Oak Ridge, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 EB, '95 XLT, '97 XLT
I just got a '97 and did an oil change. Lord! What goofy engineer designed the oil plug to shoot used oil out the side of the pan!? I am trying to come up with a non-messy way to drain the oil -- maybe hold a funnel to direct the oil downward? What do you do? Surely no one thought this side drain thing was a Ford "better idea!" Why in the heck did they design something like that??

Thanks.

Allen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Fumoto drain is the thing to have.

Attachments

• DSC00607.JPG
    DSC00607.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 380

also use this which is available in autozones and even walmart..

Attachments

• 7b_1.jpg
    7b_1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 394

aldive said:
The above mentioned item is typical Fram quality - JUNK.

thanks for your opinion!

Attach a short length of 3/8" fuel line to the nipple on the Fumoto valve and you can direct the oil flow into a container and not spill a single drop.

Al, looks like a good solution. I am assuming you got the model with the nipple, and that you slip a hose on the nipple when you drain your oil. Correct?

Thanks, again (You have a super looking truck, btw!).

Allen

Sorry, another dumb question. The clearance between the top of the spring seal housing on the valve and the base of your oil pan look to be very tight as you would have had to turn the valve to install it. Is there plenty of clearance to properly screw the valve in and get it seated?

Allen

allen820 said:
Al, looks like a good solution. I am assuming you got the model with the nipple, and that you slip a hose on the nipple when you drain your oil. Correct?

Thanks, again (You have a super looking truck, btw!).

Allen

Yes, I got the one with the nipple.

Yes, you attach the hose only when you want to drain the oil.

allen820 said:
Sorry, another dumb question. The clearance between the top of the spring seal housing on the valve and the base of your oil pan look to be very tight as you would have had to turn the valve to install it. Is there plenty of clearance to properly screw the valve in and get it seated?

Allen

Simple to install; just screw it in.

Pleanty of room.

aldive said:
The above mentioned item is typical Fram quality - JUNK.

please explain what is junk about it.

I have one and it is great, very high quality with a metal cap with a gasket that goes over it so even if the valve inside fails you will not leak oil everywhere. it is better then some valve that can be broken off offroading or running over something

Ok that solves it for the oil plug but what about the filter location? I don't think there is an easy way to take this thing off without spilling oil all over the control arm and frame. This is the part that really makes me stain my driveway a bit.

Lazzman said:
Ok that solves it for the oil plug but what about the filter location? I don't think there is an easy way to take this thing off without spilling oil all over the control arm and frame. This is the part that really makes me stain my driveway a bit.

Before I went to a remote bypass filter ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126111&highlight=bypass ), I changed the oil filter in the stock location with no issues. I loosened the filter and then put a 1 gal zip lock bag over it and simply unscrewed it; no leaks or mess whatsoever.

The Fumoto drain valve is a definate must have item.

The Fram thing is junk. It is a good quality item and a good idea but it needs work. I have one on my F150 and it takes about and hour for all the oil to come out because the hole is so small. :confused: Every time I change the oil I plan on replacing it but never get around to it. It might be good for something with 4 quarts of oil but when you need to drain 6 quarts its terrible.

Billy177 said:
please explain what is junk about it.

I have one and it is great, very high quality with a metal cap with a gasket that goes over it so even if the valve inside fails you will not leak oil everywhere. it is better then some valve that can be broken off offroading or running over something

that is because someone else has a differnt one and everyother one is junk ..

Lazzman said:

Put it on jack stands or ramps the night before and change the filter in the morning. Mine doesn't drip a drop if I let it sit overnight. If I do it when it's been driven within the last 6 hours, it's a horrible mess.

As for the drain issue, for $17, you can replace the oil pan with the updated part.

The new pan has the plug angled downward a bit and that stops it from shooting out and hitting the control arm bolt.

666450.jpg

666449.jpg

You wouldn't think that makes much of a difference, but you'd be amazed!

The only way I've found to do it with the stock plug is to shove a piece of cardboard up along side the engine. Wedge it between the drain pan and the control arm and it would catch the vast majority of the oil and redirect it into the pan. Wasn't as fancy-schmancy as the Fumoto valve, but I never had a problem.

-Joe

gijoecam said:
Put it on jack stands or ramps the night before and change the filter in the morning. Mine doesn't drip a drop if I let it sit overnight. If I do it when it's been driven within the last 6 hours, it's a horrible mess.

As for the drain issue, for $17, you can replace the oil pan with the updated part.

The new pan has the plug angled downward a bit and that stops it from shooting out and hitting the control arm bolt.

666450.jpg

666449.jpg

You wouldn't think that makes much of a difference, but you'd be amazed!

The only way I've found to do it with the stock plug is to shove a piece of cardboard up along side the engine. Wedge it between the drain pan and the control arm and it would catch the vast majority of the oil and redirect it into the pan. Wasn't as fancy-schmancy as the Fumoto valve, but I never had a problem.

-Joe

do you ,mean $17.00 for a new oil pan?

davidmmm69 said:
do you ,mean $17.00 for a new oil pan?

My apologies... I fat-fingered the keyboard again... it should have read $47.00. www.fastpartsnetwork.com has it listed for $43, and I think I paid $30 with my employee discount. It was all of a 10-minute job to swap it out.

Sorry for the confusion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can swap out an oilpan in 10 mins? Your Quick GI:)

Back