• Register Today It's free!

Drive train questions

Thomas Mackin

Reaction score
City, State
Eagle River,Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I have a 2002 stock explorer with 81 K on the clock. I ave had it for about 6k and I am very happy with it. It is a 4.0 four door with the sport package and trailer tow which has never been used. I have put all new brakes and rotors in,new plugs,belt, pcv valve and air and oil filters. It had a75K warranty and lots has been done like the transfer case and new timing chain and rear diff seals. I have looked over the site and got lots of information on fluids and change methods for both the tranny and differentials. It has a 3.73 ls so I am thinking Amsoul 75/140 with the friction mod. added for the differentials. Need help on sorting out the best way to do the tranny and get most of the fluid changed. One shop said not to do a flush but just drop the pan and filter and new fluid. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Also my ford dealer said you can not get the cover off the rear differential without taking it out?

I recently did a pan drop, filter change and full flush of the transmission fluid in my 2002 V6 Eddie Bauer. When you drain and drop the pan you will get out 3 to 4 quarts of fluid. You will need the Dead Link Removedin order to get fluid back into the transmission.

You then disconnect one of the small transmission cooler lines going to the transmission cooler and run the engine for a bit to have it pump out a queart or two. You then add the same amount of fluid into the pan via the tool adapter and hand pump. You do this until you have the fluid running as clear red as you want or you run out of fluid to pump in. I bought a 12 quart case and put all of it it (Dead Link Removed).

The rear diff uses 75W140 synthetic and I used Amsoil sever gear. I also put in 4 oz of the friction modifier for the limited slip mechanism. You do not have to remove the cover on the rear diff to drain/fill. There are two square bolts - an upper fill plug and large lower drain plug. I had to use a large breaker bar to get the upper plug out, and be sure to remove the upper fill plug first before removing the drain plug - this insures you can get fluid back into the differential. There are stories of people who removed the drain plug first and couldn't get the fill plug off leaving the truck undrivable with no fluid in the differential (tow to shop).

The front differential takes 80W90 or better, 75W90 synthetic gear oil. I used Valvoline SynPower full synthetic 75W90. The front differential is not limited slip and does not require a friction modifier.

The front diff has only an upper fill plug, to drain you either remove the cover or pump out the old oil through the drain plug. I siphoned the old oil out through the plug and refilled. More ambitious people would remove the cover.

Rumple

I have a 2002 stock explorer with 81 K on the clock. ... I have looked over the site and got lots of information on fluids and change methods for both the tranny and differentials. ... Need help on sorting out the best way to do the tranny and get most of the fluid changed.

that "special tool" no one sells. not even dealers. i went to home depot and bought the same thing for a dollar and worked perfectly.

Back