Drivetrain for big power (500-700rwhp)... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivetrain for big power (500-700rwhp)...

Hey all-

Looking to swap a carburetted 351w into my explorer which is currently a 99 4.0 SOHC 4WD with 135K miles and coolant smell. I am thinking about converting from 4WD to 2WD by ditching the front transfer case and cutting weight in the process and then swapping in a built c4 or c6 automatic transmission with a custom length driveshaft. It will be a blow through single turbo setup likely a BW s400.

I'd love to swap the AWD bits in for street tire traction but doubt they would hold up--- anyone know what the syclone/typhoon guys use for their big power?

Mine is currently 4200 lbs and without the front transfer case/bumper work/fiberglass hood I would like to get it under 4000. I will miss the 4wd in the snow but I drove a 435 hp 5.0 mustang daily for 4 years in it.

Anyone done anything like this? I know start with a different car-wife won't let me touch her car and I already have a c5 z06 I don't want to mess with as it is so well engineered as it sits and this car needs to haul the family/9' boards/tow/etc and this engine can't have that much more life left in it.

EDIT: now that I think about it this sounds a lot like a 351 ford lightning w/ a turbocharger?

Back