Any interest in a big brake bracket? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any interest in a big brake bracket?

I've recently acquired at Baer big brake kit for a 2nd gen awd/4wd explorer or mountaineer. It uses a 13" cobra rotor and some big 4 piston alcon built baer branded calipers. I need to call alcon on tuesday to see if the calipers are still available. Was just wondering if anyone wanted me to see what it would cost to have some brackets machined.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so the brackets are aluminum, saleenjoe told me they were steel, but they are way to light weight to be steel, and a file cut right through them:( They have FITE 001 engraved in them if that means anything to anyone.

The pistons on the caliper are 44.5mm which doesn't seem to match the original xp8 setup, and the part numbers on my calipers don't even look close to the ones listed for the xp8 setup. So this looks to be maybe a weird setup that someone did custom? They still have the inside pads in them and they look to be in great shape, so maybe the rotors that came with it are totally wrong for the caliper since it's a solid mount. Maybe it was sitting to deep against the wheel hub and needs something like the corvette or cobra rotors? I guess I need to get a hold of a cobra rotor to start and use the 2 existing pads to make a pair and see how it fits?

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This viper rotor looks like it might be a good candidate

4.jpg

ok some rotor measurements

hub opening 2.8 inches
disc is 1.03 inches thick, there is some wear though so not sure what a new one would be
height is 2.25" making the hat ~1.25 inches
rotor is extremly close to 13"

the face that bolts to the hub is .325" thick

Eric, those numbers are very good to work with. From that I make that rotor's offset to be about 1.22(2.25-1.03) minus the .325 thickness, or .895 inches.

The official offset spec of a rotor is the distance from the outer rotor surface, to the hub surface.

I'd bet that it is a late Corvette(.850") rotor, or started as the core part before drilling the holes. It is not a Cobra rotor, those are really shallow, .350" offset.

what kind of year range would I be looking at for one of those?

That piston size is very close to the stock and XP8 piston sizes, about 45mm.

I had OEM 65-82 Corvette calipers on mine first, those are 48mm(1.875") pistons. That was a little extra brake power over stock, enough to lock the brakes at 80mph. Currently I have 43mm SSBC calipers, these are little less powerful than stock. I think a piston size around 45mm is ideal, shoot for that if you have choices.

It does look like someone(maybe even Baer) put together that set of parts. It may be a great combination for many wheels, obviously 17" at least. But the clearance behind each wheel is different. Set those rotors up on the hub again and see what space there is at the tie rod end.

If you do have to have new brackets made(you got to do steel for safety), why not alter the rotor offset as part of the dimensions of the bracket? I'd suggest aiming for the stock clearance to the tie rod ends.

I do have two extra pairs of rotor hats. I had three pairs custom made, the costs are very high for one pair. I would bet that you can build a rotor by using a pair of my hats. The rotor discs are not the expensive part, the hats are. You can buy the rotor dics from Coleman for $150 to $200 a pair. I'm talking about any dimensions, 14"x1.375" etc, or the 13"x1.10" you have there.

The late Corvette rotors are just like the Cobra stuff, mid 90's or so to present. If you do go that route, you need to find a source that buys the rotors(or makes them), and can order the special six holes we need.

The Ford hub diameter is different than Chevy, but also we have studs that are over 1/2", the shank adds a lot to the size.

I had(have) a pair of Cobra rotors that I had a seller cut to this special Ford size, the stud holes are larger to fit our hubs. I can't use these as I mentioned, the offset is so much shallower than we need. These cost me about $125 on eBay, just some cheap seller who I could get to special order the hole sizes.

Well I got some good news today o'reillys ordered some rotors in for me to look at and it is a 94 corvette rotor.

Back