Drop Pitman Arm question!!!! ugh! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drop Pitman Arm question!!!! ugh!

Is the issue that the keyway is in the wrong spot?

If so, use a file and cut down the right tooth so it can be installed. IIRC, someone did that somewhat recently on a solid axle conversion so the arm they had would go on the steering box they had.

Edit: I just did some searching here on EF for "modify and pitman and arm" and found quite a few threads that talked about using the Fa600 and non of them mentioned modifying the FA600. They were all giving the option of using the fa600 or modifying the superrunner steering.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just for reference... I have a Skyjacker FA600 drop pitman with about 4-5" of lift (my 6" soft springs squished down a bit). My steering gear is nearly level.

Not sure, but I *think* the FA600 gave me 4" of Actual drop for the steering gear.

Maybe I can find a camera and take a pic if needed.

i was drinking, did throw the pitman arm puller. about threw the pitman arm its self, till i was reminded i wouldn't be able to send it back damaged.

the keys were off by more then half a turn, wouldnt having to many keys make it now work?

you said you have the fa600 that it was more so of a 4" drop arm, but you said your springs already squished/sagged so if i put on the fa600 and my springs squish/sag etc woudlnt that make the arm to long?

you said you have the fa600 that it was more so of a 4" drop arm, but you said your springs already squished/sagged so if i put on the fa600 and my springs squish/sag etc woudlnt that make the arm to long?

perhaps so. I got my springs used, which were skyjacker. i think.

if i recall, the rough country springs are considerably stiffer/higher rate than most of the brands out there. so they might not sag nearly as much i'm thinking. if they do and clearance gets bad... the f150 coil spring spacer trick should work.

so my very old digital camera isnt helping. (glare and out of focus)

however my tape measure maybe did. from the bottom of the output shaft itself (on the steering box), to the bottom of the arm where the link inserts, is about 7".
So I'm thinking if you hold the steering link so all the steering arms are level, and you get a measurement about 7" (where the drag link stud meets the arm body, to the bottom of the steering box output shaft), then a FA600 outta do it.

and on second look, if my arm was 1/2" longer steering gear would be perfectly flat and level. if my 6" springs settled down to 4 1/2", then we're spot on.

hope that all makes sense. heh

IMG_0006.JPG

the fa600 is the one we all need.. the fa400 is only 2-2.5" of actual drop. fa600 is 4-5" true drop

To begin with, this is a somewhat kinda, not really, but ok... repost.... I started a thread called What are these bushings? (pic)! and it was stated my drop pitman arm wasnt long enough.. i bought a Skyjacker FA400 which is THE EXACT same as the Rough Country arm... skyjacker was just thicker! SOooooo should I try to get the FA500 or would that be WAY TO MUCH DROP!! here are updated pics below. Should I leave the RC on and send back the FA400 and just deal with them not being straight or what!?!

picture.php

picture.php

This is the picture that was seen that brought up the question that the tie rods/drag link were not level.
picture.php

picture.php

i see you got those "bushing fixed":D get the fa 600
$200 shipped
http://www.streetsideauto.com/search.asp?keywords=fa600

lol yeah street side auto is the ones im dealing with, they have been graceful enough to sell, take back, sell, take back, now sell again, lol. ok Ill order the fa600, since i just did ball joints and trying to do the pitman and endlinks at same time i know im gonna need a alignment.. just so i got is straight then everyone is saying FA600 for my 4.5" lift; right?

correct. the one and only one big enough. unless you cut n weld it to make it custom which is technically wrong since its cast but people do it and it holds. get the fa600.

beating a dead horse here.. forgot to update a long time ago, did the fa600 and it turned the drag link making it not workable, kinked up when turning the steering wheel. so had to go back to the one from RC sent me.. so still not level, buying a double steering stabilizer to replace single soon.

I finally got a pic of how our front looks. this is from straight on, sitting on the ground in front of the truck. AFIAK this is the fa400 drop arm (superlift) on a James Duff 3.5" lift.

3454400636_5bb18eabc5_b.jpg

We get virtually no bump steer since putting on this dropped arm.

~Mark

Hey what linkage do you have on there?the bars look straight and how did they get that straight without hitting each other?

...I was just noticing the post above about the indexing being off...

...Ford steering box's and pit arm's are either indexed "X" or "+" ... When ordering pitman arms it is always a good idea to verify your index and then verify with whom you are ordering from...I hope this helps future readers...

Hey what linkage do you have on there?the bars look straight and how did they get that straight without hitting each other?

I didn't do anything special. These are just Tie Rods for a 1992 Explorer 4x4. I don't remember if they are Moog or McQuay Norris extremes.

Here are some shots I just took of the suspension.. Maybe it will help some..

4785006778_0d6a61c69c_b.jpg

4784995306_da4d4496e5_b.jpg

4784997780_ef5ef08fe4_b.jpg

4784360313_484f1211db_b.jpg

One thing that just occured to me, Our axles are pushed slightly forward, even before we went with the extended radius arms. We put double washers on the front side the the RA bushing which moved the axle slightly forward (about 1/2" IIRC). It never occured to me that it changed the angle of the tie rods until just now..

~Mark

yea they do have bends,just looked straight from that first pic.man those things are level.

Glad I found this thread.....I planned on ordering the FA400 cause the steering is not very level at all for the lift, so I know for sure to get the FA600

I'm running the 5.5" Superlift setup on my 92 4door. I don't know why they don't include a bigger drop pitman arm, the 4" drop isn't enough. I ordered the FA600 and it puts the steering arms right where they should be.

Back