Duff Hidden Winch Mount (sort of. . .) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Duff Hidden Winch Mount (sort of. . .)

Bought the Duff Pre-Runner style bumper back in 98, before they made the new one with the winch mount.

The more I went off road, the more I decided I needed a winch for my rig. Problem was I liked the look of the Duff bumper and didn't want to start from scratch.

Here's the end result:

Paul
'91 Sport

Attachments

• winch#1.jpg
    winch#1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 797

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Paul that looks great! Talk about a truely multi-functional bumper you got there! :D

Thanks

Thanks for the comments. I think it turned out quite well. I was really trying to keep it hidden behind the Duff bumper, as opposed to perched on top. Did not alter my approach angle in the least.

I got a chance to use it this past weekend with Gerald out in Tellico . . . awesome.

Paul

I built a bumper simular to the duff, and now i want a winch, but i don't think I have the room back there. Did you space the bumper forward? Why didn't you do a reciever?
It looks Great, I like the paint or liner on it.

Angle Iron and Steel Plate

Kirby -

Room was an issue for me. I did not want the winch fully exposed (rules out the receiver hitch), and I did not want to have a lot of custom work done, (move radiator, bumper, etc.). The bumper remained in the original position.

I used a Ramsey REP 8000 winch because it had the smallest size dimensions (of 8000lb + winches), had a 3.6 hp motor, and was relatively cheap ($499).

The guy that did the install did an awesome job - - Used angle iron for brackets off of the inside frame rails and steel plate to mount the winch. Because the cable spools out the bottom of the winch, he cut into the bumper to install the fairlead. I tested this set-up this weekend and it worked perfectly.

The bumper has Line-X bed liner sprayed on it. It was been on there 3 years and still looks great. I splooged some Herculiner around the fairlead where he had to cut off the Line-X - - will have to work that some more to get it to match better.

Paul
'91 Sport

Re: Angle Iron and Steel Plate

Originally posted by Paul
The bumper has Line-X bed liner sprayed on it. It was been on there 3 years and still looks great. I splooged some Herculiner around the fairlead where he had to cut off the Line-X - - will have to work that some more to get it to match better.

Paul
'91 Sport

Give it a year and it will fade to about the same color.My herculiner when I first put it on was a deep black. Now its sort of grayed out to the same color your line-x was the last time I saw it.

Ryan -

I know it will fade out a bit. When I first slapped it on I thought I must have bought the "high gloss" version of Herculiner instead of the "flat black".

A few months in the sun and it should be good.

Paul
'91 Sport

Looks great Paul! Also looks like it came out just the way you wanted it to. I knew you'd figure out a way to mount a winch on that bumper. Cool!

looks really nice man,
bout how much is that bumper? is it available for newer models?

Thanks Mike -

Looks great and works well too. . . and yep, it was just what I wanted.

Red - it cost about $250 3+ years ago. Not too sure if they make them for the later models. I think http://www.jamesduff.com will take you to their site.

Here's another photo with a lisence plate mounted to the fairlead (with toggle bolts)

How is that for hidden?

Paul

Attachments

• winch#4.jpg
    winch#4.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 640

Back