• Register Today It's free!

Durability?? 2014 XLT

Halwg

Reaction score
City, State
WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Base 2.3L E
This is my 5th Explorer, all of them being leased and used for my job as a consulting engineer to the oil and gas industry. As such, the Explorer is used to haul a lot of very expensive test equipment, and for what I call "light" off road travel.

I have to take the Ex to client's job locations such as compressor stations, well sites, and pipeline jobs. A lot of this travel is off of paved roads on gravel, or dirt access into the sites. Terrain is very steep and uneven in the areas I work, so 4WD is a must.

The previous 4 Explorers, though not perfect by any means, did a good job of handling the equipment and terrain. I drive about 25,000 miles per year, so in a 3-year lease I'll have nearly 75,000 miles.

So the big question is...will a car-based crossover SUV with some semblance of 4WD be able to stand up to the rigors of the job? Only time will tell. However, a few observations:

• I can haul less in the 2014 than I could in previous Explorers even though the 2014 is larger
  • The ride in the 2014 is significantly better than the previous Explorers.
  • Better shifting transmission
  • The Hill Descent feature actually works pretty well.
  • It's impossible to find an off road tire in 245 60 R18
  • The 3rd row seats are useless and I have them permanently folded and covered with a mat.

I've driven the vehicle for 4,000 miles and it has worked OK so far, but I haven't been in any situations that would call for hard-core 4WD. This winter will put it to more of a test, when I have to traverse roads and terrain in winter conditions. This was where the previous Explorers shined. I'm anxious to see if this one is up to the task.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With that many miles a year, I would think you would think you like the latest Ex as I find it to be a comfortable highway cruiser as a crossover-unibody SUV.

As for offroad, I find the AWD to be just fine for light to moderate activities. The biggest concern is ground clearance, and you might want to remove the front plastic air dam for that.

With that many miles a year, I would think you would think you like the latest Ex as I find it to be a comfortable highway cruiser as a crossover-unibody SUV.

As for offroad, I find the AWD to be just fine for light to moderate activities. The biggest concern is ground clearance, and you might want to remove the front plastic air dam for that.

Has anyone removed the air dam without consequences?

A lot of this travel is off of paved roads on gravel, or dirt access into the sites. Terrain is very steep and uneven in the areas I work, so 4WD is a must.

Not to be a nay-sayer, but you asked. I think you will struggle. You indeed bought a car this time, instead of a truck. Ground clearance is abysmally low, and the systems, body, etc. were built for the asphalt jungle, not the off road one.

Your task might have been better suited to a Tahoe, Touareg, 4 Runner, etc. Good luck, and carry a tow strap and shovel.

Has anyone removed the air dam without consequences?

Yes, I know a dealer up on Nantucket where everyone drives the beaches that removes them. Another poster who goes off road in the mountains had a dealer remove it.

Problem is, as I understand it, it is not fastened on. Needs to be cut off, but since it is plastic that could be a DIY.

My offroad is pretty much beaches on Nantucket and I primarily use my Escape, which does just fine with the Ford AWD and front air dam ripped off on some very soft and boggy beaches - but the Escape is light and that helps in the sand. The Ex is fine for the tamer Nantucket beaches even with the air dam that I am keeping on - at least for now.

Can't speak for constructions sights, quarry's, rutted and rocky roads, but I think the AWD is fine for light to moderate. The concern, as posted above, is clearance. Even if you cut off the front plastic air dam, the clearance is not that great, but if it is terrain that requires 4-wheel but not great clearance, you should be OK.

You might have a look in the "Modified 2011-2015 Explorers" subforum. I believe that there was a link to some engine skid plates.

If you're always hauling stuff in the back, keep in mind the threads about broken 3rd row seat backs. Although Ford is supposed to be installing stronger material, it wouldn't hurt to have something more substantial than just a mat back there if you carry any kind of heavy items. As for Winter driving, I always go with dedicated Winter tires regardless if the vehicle is FWD, AWD or 4WD. They are that much safer in cold conditions.

Peter

I've found the threads on removing or trimming the front valance. That definitely needs done. And I have found an all terrain tire - General Grabber AT2 in 255 60 R18 which both the tire shop and the Ford Dealer say will fit. Peter, that's only a 1.6% difference which is well below the magic 3%.

As for winter tires, the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 and the Cooper Weather-Master WSC both come in 245 60 R18.

In the back, I actually have put down a a covering over the seat backs before I installed the mat. I'm not having any problem hauling equipment back there.

I'm planning on going with the Blizzak DM-V1 Winter tires as well. Current tires are 255/45R20 and the Blizzak's I'm looking at will be 235/60R18. That's only a 0.23% difference and the narrower tire will be better in snow. I'll put them on the Ford 18" steel wheel since Lincoln doesn't have any steel wheels.
Also keeping my fingers crossed that those wheels will fit on the 2016 Explorer.

Peter

Back