Easy Tune-Up Question!

Christifor

Reaction score
City, State
Pac NW
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer 4.0 XLT
Hello!

Easy question, since I've owned my Explorer (5 years), I have yet to change the ignition coil pack. I am in the process of ordering everything for a nice OEM Motorcraft tune-up & am curious as to whether that is something that should be done or not. I don't have any issues with my Explorer except idle kinda bounces during stop & go. I blame the plugs for that as I recently Seafoamed her the last oil change.
Do I order a new ignition coil pack?

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO, replacing the coil pack doesn't need to be part of a routine tune-up. May consider removing it and inspecting it for any cracks...and, while you're at it, clean the corrosion off the metal contact surface on the bottom.

Thanks! I will be sure to do that upon doing the rest of the tune-up!

Ditto, I wouldn't replace the coil pack till it fails. If you haven't cleaned your IAC that might help with bouncy idle speeds, especially if it happens when the A/C compressor kicks on.

Yeah, I cleaned mine out probably a year or two ago. Made noise when sitting in traffic & it was actually hot out here in the PNW. So far so good. Actually kind of excited to do a full Motorcraft tune-up. Believe last time I did so, it was all O'reilly's parts (Fram, etc.).
Gotta love eBay!

Don't overlook RockAuto.com. They have about the best prices around...even factoring in shipping.

IMO, replacing the coil pack doesn't need to be part of a routine tune-up. May consider removing it and inspecting it for any cracks...and, while you're at it, clean the corrosion off the metal contact surface on the bottom.
Good suggestion.
There's a post on this board that tells of someone solving their misfiring problem
by cleaning the coil grounding strap. It doesn't actually ground the coil, but it
dissipates the electrical field that's formed when the individual coils fire, thus preventing crossfire.

Back