• Register Today It's free!

egr tube blew out of intake

Mr.Fork

Reaction score
City, State
Scotch Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
So I had a really bad coolant leak coming from my LIM gaskets, just got done putting the top end back together. Changed the oil, started it up, it ran fairly smooth. Shut it down, did another oil change to get any left over coolant out of the oil, start it back up and its running like crap. Suddenly I hear a pop and the truck dies. Try to restart it, but all I hear is a rush of air and it dies immediately. I found that the tube coming from the egr going into the upper intake manifold seems to have pushed back a bit from the intake and the gasket on it is distorted.

Question a is what in the world is that gasket called and where I can get it?

Question 2 is should there have been enough pressure there to pop that tube out or possibly a backfire from the truck trying to relearn it's fuel trims?

I tried to push it back in but had a hell of a time getting the thing back into the intake, anyone have any suggestions?

Backfire cause the egr blow back? Ive never hear of this. There is no gasket where the egr goes in to the lim, there is a O-ring.

We are talking 4.0 OHV motor??

yeah, 4.0 ohv. I am referring to the o ring.

Must have been a backfire. Not sure what to say, I was hoping someone else had an idea what happened.

Did you re-install the egr? How did it go after re-install?

Back