Emergency light install | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emergency light install

Wanted to throw up a thread on how I installed my emergency blue lights now that they're finally operational. I'm a volunteer firefighter and I live about 1.75 mi from my station, so it really helps to have people move aside for you when you have that distance to drive.

Anyway, I have in the front a suction mounted LED bar - the 'ET-7' from ExtremeTacticalDynamics.com, and two LED boxes hidden in the rear window.

The front was a pretty easy (read: 3 minute) install. Suctioned it to the windshield. ran the cable up and along the front edge of the headliner, down the pillar (between the pillar and the windshield) and then under the dash, ziptied up and out of the way. Power is a cig lighter plug with a switch on the back. Simple.

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg

It's pretty hard to see in most lighting conditions too, which is good:

IMG_1959.jpg

The rears were a lot more work. I had to fab some brackets up -

got some steel strips from Home Depot, cut, bent, filed, drilled and painted them to the way they needed to be.

Measured out and drilled the top part of the inside liftgate next:

IMG_1849.jpg

Screwed in the brackets, ran the wiring through the 'walls' of the truck, up into the console where power is tapped off the battery, and mounted the control box right above my scangauge (you can see it in one of the previously posted pictures above).

They're completely undercover until they light up. :D

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

Finally, the finished product at night. I hope to have a better video soon, when I can shoot when I'm not in an area that's going to attract a lot of attention.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well once I have a little extra to spend on lights I'm going to do grill, windshield and tailgate lights. might even wig wag the tails. we'll see. I want to do it right way and I also need to do more research on where to buy them for a good price.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, the more you use the safer it is. The LED's flashback in the rain though. I've been wanting to mount somthing in the grill and the rear but I suck at installing that kinda stuff.

I'd check out the site I got mine at. Some of the best prices I've found and the customer service was good as well.

Steve, PA cops won't have a problem with you lit up like a christmas tree?

BrianDye - red is illegal for me. Only police and high ranking fire officials (chief, Marshall) can run with anything other than blue. I will not be adding any strobes or anything. I think this is enough.

[/QUOTE]

Its crazy how laws are different about lights in different states. Im a full time fire engineer/emt but I work for a small municipal, combination department so Im expected to run off duty calls as well. In NC firefighters can run red, clear, and amber but definitely not blue. Cops are the only ones allowed to run blue. Also the only people in the FD that are allowed to have sirens on their POV's are assistant chiefs, deputy chiefs, or chiefs. Thats a nice setup you got there though and I hope to get my xploder all lit up when I free up the extra cash. Also,I know plenty of guys down here that are lit up like mobile christmas trees and its not a problem in this state. On that note though, there is such a thing as overkill. Haha. Again though I love the led setup its killer. :thumbsup:

Its crazy how laws are different about lights in different states. Im a full time fire engineer/emt but I work for a small municipal, combination department so Im expected to run off duty calls as well. In NC firefighters can run red, clear, and amber but definitely not blue. Cops are the only ones allowed to run blue. Also the only people in the FD that are allowed to have sirens on their POV's are assistant chiefs, deputy chiefs, or chiefs. Thats a nice setup you got there though and I hope to get my xploder all lit up when I free up the extra cash. Also,I know plenty of guys down here that are lit up like mobile christmas trees and its not a problem in this state. On that note though, there is such a thing as overkill. Haha. Again though I love the led setup its killer. :thumbsup:

Thanks man. They were great for the price, too. Lights are still going strong. Love em. Installed headlight strobes last month for daylight running as well. VERY effective.

One of my past professions was emergency equipment installations. We wanted to make sure you could see and hear the vehicles.

how exactly do you get into that kind of profession?

Back