Enclosed Trailer size recommendation?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Enclosed Trailer size recommendation??

Reaction score
City, State
Hazleton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
Hey everyone! I have a 2002 Sport Trac, V6 4X4 with 4.10 rear end gears (not sure if I have a tranny cooler). I am wanting to pull an enclosed trailer with it, but was a little "iffy" on the max length. Was thinking maybe a 6X12, or 7X14, what have you guys pulled?? Any opinions welcome, Thanks!!:D
BTW, only going to put dirt bikes/ gear etc. in trailer, so load will be pretty minimal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Length isnt as much of a problem as width, height, or overall weight. Its that front wall of the trailer that really works like a sail.

First thing you need to do is figure out an actual total weight of bikes, gear, etc... and then look at different trailers and their weights to match the correct size trailer for your needs.

An extra duty tranny cooler would help out greatly,(I still need to do this) the Trac's tranny's are very tempermental with towing and abuse. I tow and haul alot with my Trac, my old show truck on an open uhaul trailer, my homemade truck bed backhalf trailer with scrap metal/ concrete block/ furniture, etc...

Yeh I had thought about getting a V-Nose 7X14 to aid in the wind issue, as I have had a couple flat-nosed enclosed trailers in the past (before the Trac) and figured the V-nose may help with that issue! Total load weight would be on the average 1000 lbs. What company/type tranny cooler have you guys used or recommend? Thanks :D

B&M makes one that Todd Z uses on his (over on mysporttrac.com) it's got a thermostat control and electric cooling fan. I wouldn't cheap out on something this important.

Thanks MidnightRebel07! I sent Todd Z a message over there to get some more details :D

I'm pretty sure theres a project thread on it in the projects section.

If you don't already have one, an Electronic Brake Controller is a great investment.

Back