• Register Today It's free!

Engine Block Heater

2good2btru

Reaction score
City, State
Kennewick, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0L SOHC V6
Recently, where I like (Kennewick, WA), it's been getting fairly cold (as of this writing it's 12:15 and it's 4 degrees outside) and it's only going to get colder. My 1998 Explorer starts fine in the morning, but I've been noticing a large hit in gas mileage and cabin heat over the past few weeks. I'm thinking of installing a Freeze Plug type Block Heater in it tomorrow.

I've been looking over this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257152&page=1 It all seems to make sense to me, but I just wanted to check with you guys to make sure I understand what I'm doing before I go and mess something up.

1) Drain all the engine coolant.
2) Jack up the car and remove the front-right tire
3) Use a hammer/flathead and gently tap out freeze plug under the wheel well.
4) Clean debris from hole opening with cloth.
5) Insert Block Heater
6) Coat the O-Ring with RTV (not sure what this is?)
7) Turn the bolt to tighten in opening
8) Return wheel.
9) Refill engine coolant (actually, i plan on replacing it.)

Anyway, I'm just worried about my baby and wanted to know if I'm missing something? Or maybe am I missing the entire point? Any tips or pointers would be great, because I'm most likely going to need it.

Thanks, guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well just changing/adding more coolant will probably give you more cabin heat.... I've seen oil pan heaters that heat the oil pan, I've heard of people using those and just putting them on the block.

I feel like I have successfully exhausted all of my other options. Not that the other options wouldn't work, but that this just seems to be the most effective. Nobody really praised the dipstick heater, nor the magnetic oil pan warmer. Also, the idea of splicing an existing line just seemed rather scary. A freeze plug heater may seem scary too, but it doesn't sound too difficult with my understanding so far an it sounds to be the most effective method in warming a cold car.

So I made the plunge last night and actually braved the cold to install my block heater. I thought everything was
going great until I plugged it in and went inside for the night. I heard no "sizzle" like others had been reporting. And when I started my car tonight, nothing happened. It didnt seem any warmer than usual. The engine temperature gauge was still on the "C", just like every other morning. Did I do something wrong? Or maybe I'm just paranoid. How do I know if my engine block is working?

some times the plug in on the block heater end can be difficult to get in there properly,, you should hear the sizzle,,

You want to be sure you got all of the air out of the cooling system. If there was an air pocket at the heater element, its likely you burned it out.

2 ways to tell its working:
1. you should hear it sizzle

2. you should see/ hear a small arc when you plug it in.

Oh yea, even with it working, its unlikely your temp gauge will start out anywhere above the min. position and I doubt you will have instant heat, however you will get it much quicker.

Yeah if you have a block heater the car should start easier. It doesn't warm up to operating temps, but should warm up a lot quicker.

When I got home today, I pulled up into the driveway and plugged it in again to test and see how it was working. Again, no spark jump and no hissing. After listening really closely to the underside of the wheel-well though, I was able to hear a slight hiss. Nothing loud or distinct though. I un-plugged it and the noise would stop, plugged it back in and it began again. So I guess i know it's working?

I left it plugged in for about two hours and then came out and checked on it later. I opened up the hood and the entire engine compartment was warm. Not hot as if it had just been driven, but warmer than it would have been if I had just left it cold.

And once I started the car, the engine temperature gauge was still reading "Cold".

Maybe there's a slight break-in period? Or maybe it's just working now and it didn't last night? I'm not sure. I'm hoping that it gets better with time though. I was expecting a little bit more performance than that, but I guess we'll have to wait and see?

Am I missing something? Thanks, guys!

the effect really is marginal , in extreme conditions, all it is meant to do is warm the block, making it easier on the internal components when starting, it is not a coolant heater,,
but they are available, but they cost a ton more to use,,

The block heater wont warm the engine to operating temps. It wasn't designed to do that. Its what, a 400 or 600 watt heater. At 600 watts thats only a little over 2000 BTU's(not much). Thats as much energy as running a blow dryer on a low setting.

Like I said it will get up to operating temp quicker and the colder it gets, the more you will notice this. It should also start easier when it gets very cold.

My experience with block heaters have been with diesels. When it got below 10 degrees and the heater wasn't used I was rolling the dice as to weather or not it would even start. Plugged in at the same temp and there were no problems starting. The difference of having the block heater plugged in or not is critical with some diesels because it effects startability so greatly. This is not much of an issue with gasoline engines though.

It sounds like yours is working. Don't expect it to have your coolant up over 100 degrees when its cold though.

Okay. Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate it. I guess I'm just really paranoid and was expecting a little more from my new little toy. After driving around this evening (it's 10 out), I've noticed that the heat does turn on quite a bit sooner. And in excited to see if it'll help my gas mileage out any.

Thanks again!

You should be able to reach in and feel the block heater...when it's plugged in, within a couple of minutes it will be quite hot to the touch to where you won't be able to touch it for more than a couple of seconds. If you're not getting that type of heat, then you may not have the cord plugged into the heater all the way. Another possible problem could be you don't have it oriented properly. Remember, it needs to be pointed down at the 6:00 position. Also, make sure you're not using more than 20 feet of cord...saw a guy using a thin 50 foot cord that wasn't supplying the amperage required for the block heater. Helped him push it closer so he could use a 10' cord and it made a ton of difference. There are times when I can hear the hiss and others when I can't but I can always feel the heat on it. Here, when it's -10, all I do is plug it in for four to five hours and it's enough that within a few minutes after starting, the heater's blowing warm air. Yes, they do work and work well.

And yes, it won't make enough difference to make your temp gauge read anything above cold but it greatly affects engine start up, the amount of time it takes for the engine to get to full temp, and the overall longevity of your engine. I always plug in below 15 degrees and use a timer on the outlet. I plug it in at night when I go to bed and the timer kicks on at 2:00 a.m. so it's ready to go at 6:15 am when I go to work.

installed.JPG

block_heater.gif

This is what my block heater looks like installed. The little heating piece is pointed up inside the engine block. Would that affect heating capacity?

Edit: I just went out and touched the engine block. It's been plugged in for about two hours at this point and I have no problem touching the engine block and holding my hand there. It's warm, but nowhere near hot. I could hold my hand on there all night long at that temperature. Would the orientation of the heating element really affect something like that? I had thought that the Antifreeze completely immersed the heating element and so it wouldn't have matter which direction it was pointing. Up, or down, the fluid is still in contact, correct?

If this isn't true and i need to rotate it, can I simply do this by grabbing some pliers and twisting it without having to mess with all of the coolant again?

You might recheck the instructions as depending upon the year of the Explorer it points up or down. I show in the Zerostart application guide that the 1990 to 2008 4.0 engine requires it to be pointed at the 6 o'clock position and yes, it can cause engine damage if oriented in the wrong direction. Mine is pointed at the 8:00 oclock position.

Nope, you won't be able to rotate all that easily and can damage the o-ring to where you have to replace the entire thing. Best of luck as it's a real pain because typically you have to drain, reorient, refill and then you're good to go. I've seen many GI's who are transferred to Alaska by the Army and Air Force who attempt to install their own block heaters thinking it's easy. It is easy provided you install correctly...I've mentioned to them about the orientation whereupon they reorient and all works fine.

As for it being immersed, it is but keep in mind it needs to be oriented in the proper direction for maximum heat dissapation. Failure to do so can mean less heat which at severly cold temps such as -50 can cause engine damage upon start up due to frozen coolant.

Another thought, what brand did you buy? Kats? Phillips & Temro? What is the wattage? Perhaps you have one that is lower wattage. The Phillips and Temro is 400 watts...

I'm not sure what brand it is. The packaging that it came in was just an unmarked generic Napa brand with no information about the Manufacturer. It did come with these instructions though. I scanned them in and uploaded them for you guys to see.

http://www.box.net/shared/k826plseya
http://www.box.net/shared/cqt80gngj8

The first link lists the different makes, models, and the way they need to be oriented. It makes no specific mention of an Explorer. But the only model listed that is a 4.0L V6 in the same year as mine ('98) says that it needs to be at 12:00? But then again, the Zerostart manual does list my specific model, year, and says that it needs to be at 6:00. Which is correct?

Personally, I'm kind of starting to think I did it wrong and that I need to go with the 6:00 position. What's your guys' take on it?

Hmm, I know when I went to my local Napa Auto Parts dealer, they offered me a block heater but when I asked who made it, they stated Kats. I specifically wanted a Phillips and Temro as that's all I've ever used with great success. I don't know what to say about the unit you have but I walked out of Napa and ended up going to the one Shucks store in Anchorage that carries Phillips and Temro. I don't own stock in them but have always had great success with this brand. As for the orientation of yours, I don't know but you can go to http://www.fivestarmanufacturing.co...e9387fa/Common_Failure___Troubleshooting_Tips to read more about premature failure caused by orientation. Also, the orientation guide for Kats is located at http://www.fivestarmanufacturing.co...62e1628f6c48/Kats_Catalog___Application_Guide which indicates you should have it pointed at the 6 oclock position.

Back