Engine died...need help, electrical | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine died...need help, electrical

patmac6075

Reaction score
City, State
MKE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Explorer
1998 Explorer 4.0 OHV
So, a couple of days ago my kid left his lights on while at school, of course when he came out...car was dead. The school has a jump pak and the car started right up, but would die as soon as the jump pak was removed...so I assumed he killed the battery(2008). So I bought a new one and sent him on his way.
So last night he's driving home on the highway (about an hour from home) and his lights start to flicker, says he lost all gauges, and engine dies...lights are working, but solinoid just clicks...
Because he was on the highway state trooper would not let me look at the car and it had to be towed....it was cold and dark, so I just had it towed to a shop.
Would you expect this to be an alternator issue? I'm kicking myself for not checking it....how about voltage regulator? I'm certain I .tightened the cables correctly.....
Car has nearly 200k, and has been bullet proof up until this issue.
Anything else I should check?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess is your problem is that the alternator is not charging the battery, but it's awfully coincidental that this should happen right after replacing the battery, unless the bad battery killed the alternator (which does happen). Could it be that someone hooked up the jump pak wrong and blew a fuse or fusible-link?

A bad battery cell CAN kill an alternator or starter. Also, a failing alternator can also kill a battery with low voltage output. It seems that your alternator was on its way out. I would first check the output voltage directly on the alternator itself. If in the low 13v's I would replace. If engine is stalling I would guess it is lower than 11v. Than if that is okay I would check the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine running to see that the battery is recieving output charge. From there it could be something else if all is good. Other electrical things can discharge a battery too such as an arcing plug wire or bad plug. A bad ground wire or positive wire to the battery is another. Lastly, check resistance at battery terminals. Should be around .6 ohms from cable end to end. .6 ohms from block to neg and .6ohms from chassis to neg. Faulty cables would alter the flow of electrons to the entire electrical system as well as the battery.

Edit: I believe the voltage reg is integrated in the alt on this ford (chev guy here). Most, if not all late model vehicles I have played with have the volt reg integrated in the alt. To my knowledge, the internal resistors inside the alt fail over time.

Had the battery charged and limped it home....will test alt. In the morning....looks like that's what it was

Back