• Register Today It's free!

Engine Oil Cooler

Whickey24

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
I have seen a lot of dealer advertising for both 2016 and 2017's where they make a point of the fact that there is an engine oil cooler, but my ETIS report shows that my 2017 Platinum will not have an engine oil cooler. Isn't the engine oil cooler standard on Explorers with the towing packages?

Not sure if I should mention it to my dealer when the X arrives?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't it say on your sticker? The line item is something like "Trailer Towing Prep." That prep will (should) include what is described as "heavy duty cooling" which is an external transmission fluid cooler. Can't say I'm familiar with an external engine OIL cooler. Regardless, I would definitely check it out and discuss it with your dealer when it arrives and make sure you are satisfied BEFORE you drive it off the lot.

ETIS actually shows much, much more than the Window Sticker. Even though the tow package is standard equipment on the platinum, I think I'd still expect to see line items to that affect including related parts.

Peter

I didn't see it listed on ETIS for my Sport.
Aslo the "external" trans cooler is just a plastic duct work channeling the air from under the front bumper.

Air ducting is what is passing for 'external transmission cooling' these days? I thought that terminology actually referred to an aux trans cooling unit. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but on Gens 1-4 the 'tow package' includes and actual external transmission fluid cooling unit.

Air ducting is what is passing for 'external transmission cooling' these days? I thought that terminology actually referred to an aux trans cooling unit. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but on Gens 1-4 the 'tow package' includes and actual external transmission fluid cooling unit.

It appears EXs with the smaller engines are equipped with an actual cooler when optioned with the class III tow package.

Thank you all for your responses. Appreciated.

My 2018 came standard with an external "transmission oil cooler"; however, an "engine oil cooler" is apparently only standard from the factory with vehicles equipped with either the "tow package" or a "turbo-equipped" engine.

As an aside, the "Engine Oil Cooler" system consists of a modified, two-piece oil filter adaptor, with a set of hoses that run over to a special lower radiator hose that allows the hot oil to briefly run through the cooler liquid found in the lower hose, and then back up into the engine oiling system. In addition, there is a special air duct that routes ambient air towards the upper part of the oil filter adaptor, with an opening cut into the lower "deflector" on the bottom of the front bumper cover, for an additional cooling assist.

My 2018 came standard with an external "transmission oil cooler"; however, an "engine oil cooler" is apparently only standard from the factory with vehicles equipped with either the "tow package" or a "turbo-equipped" engine.

As an aside, the "Engine Oil Cooler" system consists of a modified, two-piece oil filter adaptor, with a set of hoses that run over to a special lower radiator hose that allows the hot oil to briefly run through the cooler liquid found in the lower hose, and then back up into the engine oiling system. In addition, there is a special air duct that routes ambient air towards the upper part of the oil filter adaptor, with an opening cut into the lower "deflector" on the bottom of the front bumper cover, for additional cooling effect.
Is this the cutout you are referring to? Lower grille cutout? It was only on Explorers with the factory tow package to provide extra cooling to the PTU/transmission area.

Peter

Yes, that is the "cutout", which is required to allow moving air to enter the plastic "air duct" unit, that then guides air underneath the PTU and transmission. However, my parts man also says the package includes the use of a "Deflector"; P/N is BB5Z-8349-D, which is not the part shown with the cutout in it. I'm not sure yet as to exactly where this "deflector" part goes, other than underneath somewhere, but will figure it out if I can.

Even though I have not yet received or installed my parts, I have taken a closer look at the photos of the parts, and it now makes sense that you are correct, in that it directs air towards the PTU (if present) and the transmission (always present!), for a little extra surface cooling (at least while moving). Thanks for pointing that out!

Back